Millwall Forum - Just Back
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: From Saturdays at Cold Blow Lane when we'd all come down to cheer To memories of Wembley, the Millenium Stadium and here. The true fans stand with lions pride against the minority that jeer And show again through slings and bows no foe shall we fear. No roof could ever contain the noise that we will soon create We need no drums and no horns to create an atmosphere that's faked. We live and bleed Each chant our creed A loyalty innate. In cups or leagues our team we'll lead with lungs you can't deflate. Cos you hesitated when you bought your ticket and you know you did. And as you travel south butterflies will fill your belly like a nervous kids. For anyone entering the Lions Den each step is tentative Unless of course you are the Lion And that Den is where you live. Let em come. - Scroobius Pip
- (Added by: millwallstarplayer)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Hull MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Archer16%
McLaughlin0%
Hutchinson3%
Cooper0%
Meredith10%
O'Brien20%
Tunnicliffe4%
Saville27%
Ferguson1%
Elliott1%
Gregory4%
Sub - Morison4%
Sub - Onyedinma3%
Sub - Twardek7%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.waterloowacker209
2.midway lion191
3.ParisWall162
4.numbernine141
5.whiskylion119
6.PurleyLion84
7.King of The Jungle80
8.unit466
9.Kryan Bing65
10.BigPaul64
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2):
Just Back
31 October 2015 18:27 Post ID: #1470313
Legend MO
A gritty draw against a side that presented us with many physical challenges.
We started quietly but they knew that we would let them push the ball around, especially in their own half. They were having some success down their left. The full back and left winger had a good understanding and many of their attacks emanated on that side of the pitch.. AOB was having his work cut out trying to limit their LB and Carlos was being stretched. However, it was good to seeWilliams back in midfield and at times he looked class with time on the ball and always being available. He combined well with Saville who ran his heart out and together they carved out some openings. The best one came from Carlos who ran forward from our half and sidestepped several challenges before snatching at his shot on the edge of the box and it sailed over. Parkinson was having heart attack moments on n the sideof the pitch and was very miffed when their man was muscled out by Craig and went down theatrically in the box but it was never a pen. The crowd were giving it big to Parky but he still looked as if he would burst a blood vessel. Their best chance came from a long throw. It bounced and bobbled in our box but their bloke hooked it over.
The ref was being typically inconsistent with a robust challenge passing unpunished and a powder puff tackle earning a free kick. Even though Morison and Gregory were working very hard as a pair they only created one chance which Gregory should have put away but, sadly, he wanted another touch. The half ended all square but they probably shaded it in terms of threat and possession but not chances.
The second half began brightly for us and we were winning more 50/50 challenges, more second ball and pushing them back. Morison typified our efforts with some good nod ons and finding Gregory well. They huffed and puffed but never really threatened to blow our house down. There was a very good block tackle from Craig which really crocked him and he was replaced by Webster. This was just the sort of game that he enjoys. Big blokes with big aerial challenges and you could see that he was enjoying every minute.
From a long ball Gregory won a very good header to Morison who hit a peach of a cross to Wiliams who struck a bullet shot which their keeper tipped over. There was another moment of good interplay between Morison and Gregory and the ball fell invitingly for him in the box. All it needed was a solid header but he chose to try and chest it down and the chance was lost. This tricky winger was replaced by a similar player but he didn't make any headway against Carlos. Fred came on for Ferguson and had some good spells and nice touches. He had a 50/50 headed challenge with the new winger who went down as if he had been poleaxed. Parky was out of his seat and ready for blood and Livers intervened in the melee and the situation was diffused. The ref didn't even give a free kick but Parky's reaction showed that he thought it was a red card at least. This just galvanised the crowd who gave him dogs abuse.
There was enough rime for a cameo and one touch appearance from Alfie Pavey who replaced Gregory who looked crocked and cream crackered.
Despite it being a 0-0 draw it was probably a better game to watch than Tuesday. The physical challenge was one that no Millwall player shirked and they worked so hard. This was typified by Saville who was at their end trying to work an opening with some good play. The move broke down and he ran fully 80 yards to win the ball back and 30 seconds later was back in their box trying to engineer the winner. He was my MOM but you couldn't fault several others like Beevers and Morison. The defence looked solid and I don't think Archer had a direct save all afternoon. Ferguson and AOB worked hard on the flanks but the Saville/Williams patnership looked composed and fruitful. Morison and Gregory worked their socks off and if only the latter could poke home a half chance then we would be a real force to be reckoned with.
A good point and a clean sheet and our solid form looks good to continue. Earlier this season we would have lost by a couple of goals but we have confidence and a really solid team ethic.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
31 October 2015 18:46 Post ID: #1470317 - in reply to #1470313
MOjo
Agree with that silver. I was happy with our performance today. Its been a long and good week for us. I thought Archer did well today, although no direct shots he picked everything out of the air that they threw into the box, he's very quick across the ground and today had a really safe pair of hands.
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 19:51 Post ID: #1470321 - in reply to #1470317
Legend MO
A gutsy but poor performance. Morison put in another good shift; Beevers, once again, never put a foot wrong; TC stuck to his task and, once he adjusted to the pace, Williams was excellent but for me today there were many negatives that need to be addressed.

It could not have come as a shock to anybody with half a football brain that Bradford would bombard the right side of our defence with high balls for Hanson to knock on to create chances and that's exactly what they did. So how did Neil plan to deal with this? Cross your fingers and hope TC will cope! In the first twenty Hanson must have won at least half a dozen headers that they picked up and I think this could have been prevented if we had put pressure on their back four (who were hitting the long balls) to prevent them having all the time in the world to compose themselves before hitting the pass. Unfortunately Neil's strategy of not pressuring teams in their half played into Parkinson's hands, although I think the major difference in the second half was that Neil rectified this problem. So hopefully next time we play a team that plays 'hoof ball' we'll be better prepared from the start.

I raised the question earlier in the week Cummings or Carlos but Edwards was poor on Tuesday and very poor today (excepting his run and shot) something for Neil to consider for the next League game.

Gregory is a trier, but looks totally out of his depth at present. I can only assume he's brilliant in training and, perhaps, Neil sees a lot of his own qualities in Lee and expects him to come good. How many more chances will he be given? Unlike Silver, I thought Saville had a poor game by his standards and I really do believe that he is walking a fine line with some of his tackling.

Overall a well earned point against another form team and lessons will be learned.
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 20:02 Post ID: #1470322 - in reply to #1470313
MOjo
Disagree that Edwards had a poor game. First half he was left quite exposed and several times had two players to deal with. I thought he showed pace and tenacity and did well. Also i think Savilles tackling is spot on. Exactly what we need - a bit of bite.
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 20:22 Post ID: #1470324 - in reply to #1470322
Legend MO
King of The Jungle - 31/10/2015 20:02

Disagree that Edwards had a poor game. First half he was left quite exposed and several times had two players to deal with. I thought he showed pace and tenacity and did well.

Edwards was right in front of me for the entire second half and made several mistakes, both defensively and offensively, the former when he had just one player to deal with. I also felt for the 1st time that today he was starting to show his age.
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 20:24 Post ID: #1470325 - in reply to #1470313
MOjo
Take your word for it 2nd half, you were a lot closer than me. Thought he done ok 1st half though.
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 21:35 Post ID: #1470330 - in reply to #1470313
GeroniMO
Gregory worked hard and great defensive play by 11
But Gregory needs to fucking shoot and stop giving ball away
Pavey should start with morrow v Fylde Fc next sat
Saville brings best out of Williams
We need more flair players in team Fred should have come on earlier Fergy not a winger
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 21:38 Post ID: #1470332 - in reply to #1470313
MOaner
edwards had a good game against one of the better wingers i have seen down the den for a good while.
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 21:38 Post ID: #1470333 - in reply to #1470313
MOaner
he won't be up against players like that for the vast majority of games. he done well.

Edited by High Life Street 31/10/2015 22:00
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 21:42 Post ID: #1470334 - in reply to #1470313
GeroniMO
Edwards was great today, Harris needs to encourage full backs to overlap like Lawrence Ryan did in his day !!
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 22:29 Post ID: #1470341 - in reply to #1470313
Supreme MO
Thanks Silver, agree with most of that. The fans who thought Carlos had a good game
must have been watching a different one to me. The Bradford winger was beating him
easily. Parky done us a favour when he subbed him. Gregory has started to get dogs
abuse from the West upper, I've beginning to feel sorry for him, nothings going for him.
Archer is turning into a very fine prospect, Williams was tidy but most of all they all
looked tired. Beevers my MOM
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 22:55 Post ID: #1470344 - in reply to #1470313
MOjo
Bradford came with good organisation and a game plan of long ball and picking up knock down scraps. As stated by Purley if we don’t press teams like this high up the pitch we will be restricted in possession and actually imposing ourselves. That said our defence looks very comfortable these days, happy to hold their ground and from time to time play their way out of trouble with short passes. There were not many times that I felt in fear of conceding, certainly not in the first half where they perhaps shaded it.

The other significant part of their plan was playing their wide midfield high up the pitch, with their tricky number 17 and 44, Cole, their version of Fred and son of Cole, gave our full backs plenty to think about. I thought Edwards was good in the first half against this pressure, enough about Bradford.

As said the defence were a ‘so solid crew’, won their aerial battles and stood up well, the one time they didn’t in the first half from that long throw where the ball bounced through and was then scrambled away. Archer’s reaction was notable, bollocking those before him, Craig snapped back, that didn’t stop Archer making his point, this is good, a young confident keeper telling his captain the truth. Picking up on a point I made last week about Craig, namely what I see as his last ditch tackling, great all the time he wins, maybe his great last ditch block that caused his injury was just that, too last ditch. Don’t want to knock him, however I was happy enough to see Webster come on for ‘his type of game’, physical.

After the aerial head tennis of the first half (that really pisses me off) it was good to see a move measured intent at the start of the second. Williams and Saville had a bit more time and started to pull the strings, not that we had much clear sight of goal, just more control of the game, they had to chase the ball a bit more. However things only really clicked when Fred came on, they knew about him, with scared, doubled up and backed off. Not that he made a big individual performance, more just being on the pitch gave the rest of the midfield that extra bit of space. The game opened up, almost cup tie like, the crowd found its voice with Miiillll echoing around interspersed NOLU, the players definitely feed off this. Then that move involving Fred-Morrison-and one other with a Williams goal bound strike that looked excellent in real time, this is why I come to the Den, the atmosphere when the team pick up on it and the occasional bit of style. Well that and the DNA imprinted from my childhood at 11yrs old or whenever it was I first came.

Williams and Saville looked the best players on the pitch, yet both were below par and both got caught with the ball a couple of times. That casual-comfortable style with head up is easy on the eye, just sometimes they need to sharpen it up and for others to show.

With 5 minutes to go I asked a couple people around me ‘would you take a draw’? Consensus yes. We would have lost this game back in August so credit has to go to Harris for turning things around. And whilst the game wasn’t on fire today I can’t help feeling we are going in the right direction, of the last eight league games W4, D3, L1.

Edited by FireWall 1/11/2015 09:38
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2015 23:41 Post ID: #1470349 - in reply to #1470313
Supreme MO
Williams and Saville looked the best players on the pitch, yet both were below par and both got caught with the ball a couple of times. That casual-comfortable style with head up is easy on the eye, just sometimes they need to sharpen it up and for others to show.

In a nutshell

Like post
Like this post
01 November 2015 10:56 Post ID: #1470365 - in reply to #1470313
MOjo
Archer didnt have a lot to do today and I think getting him was a steal. Spurs will come regret the day they sold him.. After seasons of lack luster dross at the Den I now have my Millwall back.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2015 22:27 Post ID: #1470408 - in reply to #1470344
Supreme MO
At half time I said to my old man I'd take a draw. He agreed.

Bradford will be a good team this season as last. As a team that's come so far in three months, yesterday was a marker of our progress. Had we lost our previous 4, it'd not been good enough, but due to our good turnaround and good form, the point was a good result.

I wasn't impressed with out full backs yesterday, neither Carlos or Martin got forward enough, which if they had; would've changed the shape of the game. For me, that was our biggest mistake. We let them peg our full backs in.

Gregory was okay, Morison tireless and OAB needed more of the ball in the right area; his cross near the end was quality, which showed me how much we should have concentrated on giving him the ball in the right area. Too many times in the first half he was pegged back chasing their left mid.

Saville needs to be retained as he could be a star. Archer looks a keeper well ahead of his years and Fred is a game changer in the right situation.

What a difference NH has made to this club, hopefully it continues.

Good point and looking forward to the run up to Xmas both home and away.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2015 22:42 Post ID: #1470410 - in reply to #1470313
Supreme MO
Was impressed with Joe Martin. Edwards had a shitter by his standards. Gregory looks woefully out of his depth. Saville is making Williams look good, and Webster did surprisingly well when he came on. Maybe he's turned a corner?

Don't understand the boo'ing of James Hanson. If I remember rightly, he didn't turn us down. Parkinson didn't get his replacement lined up so he blocked it. Anyway, it doesn't matter. And based on what I saw yesterday, I'd rather have Steve Morison any day of the week!
Like post
Like this post
02 November 2015 07:54 Post ID: #1470414 - in reply to #1470313
Legend MO
I had a good look at the table after the game and think we have made a really good improvement over the last month and are very handily placed at this stage of the season. I think we can put this improvement down to a couple of simple but essential factors. The first is undoubtedly team spirit. When Chopper played it was an essential part of his game that he always gave his all for the team at all times. He would never give up and there were times that I thought that he was the only one out there with a really good football brain. He has clearly imparted this team spirit idea to the team. The second fact is that he tried very hard to keep the same shape in the team with few changes and rewarding those who have tried their very best in all circumstances. Unlike Wurzel who would change the team around all the time and we all know the results of that. He has also not picked lots of those young lads whom he managed in the Development squad. If they have deserved their place on merit then he has picked them but if they have needed more time to develop into the sort of player he wants then he has allowed that. Note that Sid hasn't even made the bench even though he is fit and Powell has not got onto the field since his disappointing display in the Tin Pot game against Northampton.
It was interesting to hear JB on LP saying that he thinks he has finally replaced KJ!
Like post
Like this post
Pages (2):
Jump to forum: