Millwall Forum - An exploding fridge???
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: If a cow is born in a stable it doesnt make it a horse
- (Added by: lionsroar78)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Middlesbrough MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Archer32%
Romeo4%
Hutchinson21%
Cooper9%
Meredith0%
Wallace4%
Tunnicliffe4%
Saville2%
O'Brien7%
Morison9%
Gregory4%
Sub - Williams2%
Sub - Craig2%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.waterloowacker239
2.whiskylion132
3.midway lion130
4.ParisWall122
5.BigPaul101
6.PurleyLion97
7.unit480
8.numbernine78
9.High Life Street71
10.Kryan Bing69
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2):
An exploding fridge???
14 June 2017 23:36 Post ID: #1539463
Legend MO
Never heard of a fridge going up in flames if that's the cause then I think there is something not quite right

Looks like a lot of Muslims and Africans cud have copped it
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
15 June 2017 00:28 Post ID: #1539464 - in reply to #1539463
Sir MO
Sounds like a big claim for someone then.
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 04:33 Post ID: #1539468 - in reply to #1539463
MOjo
I'm sure BP will be able to add far more, but as far as I'm aware any electrical device while plugged into the mains is a potential firerisk. My big sis (older, not a rolling porker before you lot start) used to go out with a fireman, and he was obsessed about unplugging any non essential electrical device before going to bed. The habit has stuck with me too.
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 04:51 Post ID: #1539469 - in reply to #1539463
MOjo
A bloke who works for me had a fire that started from a dodgy phone charger, the fireman that came round said exactly the same thing.

The thing is nowadays when rewiring property or upgrading, the new consumer units (fuse boards) that are being installed are so sensitive that they trip out with slightest irregularity. They detect something called earth leakage, this comes from dodgy appliances, this could even be say a new kettle that is made in China.

A couple of years ago on a domestic contract the client was complaining about the board tripping out all the time. We went round and got them to unplug everything, then start plugging everything back in one unit at a time until the offending item revealed itself.
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 05:35 Post ID: #1539472 - in reply to #1539469
MOjo
FireWall - 15/6/2017 04:51

A bloke who works for me had a fire that started from a dodgy phone charger, the fireman that came round said exactly the same thing.

The thing is nowadays when rewiring property or upgrading, the new consumer units (fuse boards) that are being installed are so sensitive that they trip out with slightest irregularity. They detect something called earth leakage, this comes from dodgy appliances, this could even be say a new kettle that is made in China.

A couple of years ago on a domestic contract the client was complaining about the board tripping out all the time. We went round and got them to unplug everything, then start plugging everything back in one unit at a time until the offending item revealed itself.

Yes FW that is basically PAT testing.
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 06:54 Post ID: #1539477 - in reply to #1539463
Supreme MO
Ramadan chip pan fire ?
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 08:02 Post ID: #1539482 - in reply to #1539463
Supreme MO
All domestic electrical appliances can be the cause of a fire.
Sometimes it is a fault that has occurred naturally, if you like.
Other times it can be due to how the appliance has been used.
The movement of a washing machine drum if not correctly loaded for example can vibrate a wire loose inside. Loose wire equals excess heat which can lead to fire.
I have seen dishwashers, fridges, freezers, tumble driers etc etc that have been the initial cause of fire.

As with every fire, anyone can be unlucky. The important thing is always what happens immediately after ignition. The actions between ignition and first call to the fire brigade are crucial to the outcome.
In short, the quicker you call the firefighters, the better outcome you will have. Who knows what delay there was in this tower block?

As an aside....we used to have a saying at work..."nice houses don't have fires"

That is not a judgement on peoples' lives, just a simple fact. Most fires occur in poorer houses with lower standards of living. Many reasons for this.
Book one of my training courses if you'd like to know more
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 08:30 Post ID: #1539486 - in reply to #1539482
Supreme MO
BigPaul - 15/6/2017 08:02

The movement of a washing machine drum if not correctly loaded for example can vibrate a wire loose inside. Loose wire equals excess heat which can lead to fire.
I have seen dishwashers, fridges, freezers, tumble driers, vibrators, etc etc that have been the initial cause of fire.

As with every fire, anyone can be unlucky. The important thing is always what happens immediately after ignition. The actions between ignition and first call to the fire brigade are crucial to the outcome.
In short, the quicker you call the firefighters, the better outcome you will have. Who knows what delay there was in this tower block?

As an aside....we used to have a saying at work..."nice houses don't have fires"

That is not a judgement on peoples' lives, just a simple fact. Most fires occur in poorer houses with lower standards of living. Many reasons for this.
Book one of my training courses if you'd like to know more :grin:

Paul I was really shocked that the last item on your list could combust
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 08:59 Post ID: #1539490 - in reply to #1539463
Supreme MO
If it is proved that a exploding fridge was the cause of the fire it will be interesting to know whether it was one of the re-conditioned fridge's that you can buy for about 50 quid from a shop on the high street.
These are fridges retrieved from the local tip which in general just need a bit of a clean up,new seals and a new motor and they are good to go again, i am almost sure they are not safety checked.
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 09:14 Post ID: #1539492 - in reply to #1539486
Supreme MO
lionheart48 - 15/6/2017 09:30

I have seen dishwashers, fridges, freezers, tumble driers, vibrators, etc etc that have been the initial cause of fire.

Paul I was really shocked that the last item on your list could combust :grin:

LH you are a bad man!!!
Mama told me you were alright. I'm sure she will change her view when she sees what you did there
Everyone knows you use plenty of lube to avoid too much friction! Doh
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 10:11 Post ID: #1539495 - in reply to #1539492
Supreme MO
BigPaul - 15/6/2017 09:14

lionheart48 - 15/6/2017 09:30

Paul I was really shocked that the last item on your list could combust :grin:

LH you are a bad man!!!
Mama told me you were alright. I'm sure she will change her view when she sees what you did there
Everyone knows you use plenty of lube to avoid too much friction! Doh :rotfl:

BP I will have Mama salivating on Saturday when in my presence or rather the Pie and mash will, then we have Obes with pieces of Eel stuck in his beard until he gets home and Alfie the dog licks him tidy.
The Millwall summer fest P&M outing looks like a scene from "One Flew over the cuckoos nest" when Jack Nicholson take's them on the bus ride, The Right Reverend will grace us with his presence but he is sharing Obes wardrobe since being robbed recently (just wondering who will be donning the much travelled Bombay bloomers) Obes manages to accidentally expose himself at least once and he's only one more flash away from being tagged I am more of a carer than a friend to this lot

Edited by lionheart48 15/6/2017 10:13
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 10:23 Post ID: #1539496 - in reply to #1539463
MOnster
I didn't see anything strange in BigPaul's vibrator mention, as they do catch fire and electrocute. Funny all the same.
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 10:28 Post ID: #1539497 - in reply to #1539463
GeroniMO
Any plugged-in electrical device can cause a fire, though this very rarely happens nowadays. The big question is why did the fire spread so quick?
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 10:48 Post ID: #1539498 - in reply to #1539463
Legend MO
Should it not be compulsory for all high rise flats to have/own a fire extinguisher surely had this been the case the fire might have been put out.I have a house but bought one from lidl was only a tenner and gives you piece of mind a little
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 11:06 Post ID: #1539500 - in reply to #1539498
GeroniMO
dublinlion - 15/6/2017 10:48

Should it not be compulsory for all high rise flats to have/own a fire extinguisher surely had this been the case the fire might have been put out.I have a house but bought one from lidl was only a tenner and gives you piece of mind a little

I live on the 2nd floor and got myself a rope which I can attach to the radiator and hang out of the bedroom window to abseil down in an emergency. And there's a fire extinguisher as well
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 11:36 Post ID: #1539502 - in reply to #1539498
Supreme MO
dublinlion - 15/6/2017 11:48

I can understand your thinking Dublin, but unfortunately, a bit like the sprinklers, it is really not the answer.

The 2 main problems of requiring people to have a fire extinguisher are:-
1. Maintenance
2. Training.

Firefighting equipment requires regular inspection and other maintenance that householders are simply not qualified to perform themselves. Even I am not allowed to take apart a fire extinguisher and carry out maintenance because I am not trained to do that. Of course, I know how to do it, but I know how to wire a plug; that does not make me an electrician.

Regarding training: There would be all sorts of disasters if untrained people were let loose with fire extinguishers in their own home.
They'd use a water or foam one on the toaster and wonder why they got an electric shock. There would be dry powder everywhere (if it worked) and don't even get me started on CO2.

I do fire extinguisher training for people in the workplace and am often asked what people should do for their own home. I always say protect yourself with smoke alarms for early warning and buy a fire blanket and put it by the door in the kitchen NOT ABOVE THE COOKER!!!

A fire blanket requires no maintenance, and the minimum of knowledge to use. Not only good for chip pan fires, you could cover electrical equipment, such as a tv set with the blanket too. Anything that cuts down the oxygen available to the fire will help, but most importantly will not make things worse.

The fire brigade say:
GET OUT
STAY OUT
CALL US OUT

I can't really argue with that advice.

People think to pick up an extinguisher and fight a fire is easy.
It is if you know what you are doing.
If you don't it can be a disaster.
Like most things really.

if the first time you ever use an extinguisher is when your house is on fire, there is a good chance it will not end well. Not least because people will often delay calling the fire brigade while they are trying to tackle the fire.
I said in an earlier post that the sooner a 999 call goes in the better for all concerned, public and firefighters too.
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2017 12:07 Post ID: #1539505 - in reply to #1539463
MOnster
You can add Nans to the list of kitchen appliances that catch fire - well she was the dish washer. She once stood with back to the gas fire in the living room one Christmas and her long dress started smouldering. Mum bought them a two foot fire guard after that, he didn't talk much.

Whenever in an emergency let others know first if possible. I don't know how firemen handle the job day in day out - obviously not every day is a rescue though. As each year goes by I still remember the boy I rescued in a swimming pool incident on private land. I got on the radio and shouted 'first aid to swimming pool', blew the whistle to get everyone's attention and dived in (probably wasn't much of a dive).

I still don't know if should have dived straight in and radio'd after but upon exiting there were several first aiders including a paramedic and a nurse, the site warden and family and various crew so I think I did right. The boy had to go to hospital a few hours later to be checked for secondary drowning, I'm pretty sure an ambulance showed up after but could have been another incident - 25 years ago, but he should have gone hospital after the incident anyway. Having been told not to put a seat belt across his chest, the driver still did it.

Granddad always took the plugs out at night and before leaving the house, not from the fridge though - obviously. Elf and safety is sometimes too much but in that pool incident, I wasn't a trained lifeguard, that was wrong. I just checked and they're still not mandatory. I knew how to do resuscitation and pull someone out properly but most people should know that. It probably should be law that everyone attend voluntary training for these situations every ten years. Quick thinking application of reserved knowledge saves lives.

Lion on the Bridge could offer voluntary terrorist attack classes. Lesson 1 'How a restaurant full of people can throw all their tables, glasses and chairs at an attacker.' Furniture sponsored by John Lewis.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (2):
Jump to forum: