Millwall Forum - Just Back 2
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: "I am the one and only, can't take that away from me" - Chesney Hawkes
- (Added by: club242)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Preston North End v Millwall
Suggested By:
Millwall win68%
Preston win16%
Draw16%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.ParisWall491
2.kevrelles354
3.whiskylion302
4.waterloowacker184
5.lionheart48139
6.BigPaul128
7.Kryan Bing115
8.PurleyLion106
9.Millwalladam98
10.High Life Street92
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2):
Just Back 2
09 September 2017 21:53 Post ID: #1551755
Legend MO
The Lions leave Molineux pointless and goalless after a gutsy performance to round-off a pretty awful day.

Arrived at a bathed in sunshine The Den both apprehensive and excited about our chances. Pleasant journey through south London but the day started to go wrong after we crossed Lambeth Bridge. Twenty-five minutes to get from Horseferry Road to Buckingham Palace; 25 minutes to navigate our way through democracy demonstrators to Marble Arch; 40 minutes to pass Lords (3rd day of a Test Match!) and another 70 minutes to reach the M1. Who plans these routes? On the M1 for all of 20 minutes when the driver decides to take a detour through the backstreets of Luton and Bedford! Eventually we rejoin the M1 ten past one. No time to stop at a Service Station and a doubt we'd get to the Molineux in time to see the start. Only positive, it gave me time to read the 1st 100 of pages of Alan Dunne's "Dunne The Hard Way"!

Eventually get to Molineux having missed 8 minutes and just in time to see Wolves open us up on our left flank, Webster clear the layback and Archer to save at full-stretch the volleyed return.

Ten minutes in and we fall behind to a rasping 30 yarder as a result of poor defending. Webster tried to nick the ball on halfway, got turned and off they went. There were still 4/5 of our defenders to their 2 but a short pass to the Jota, strike and the rest is history. Terrific shot but the ball should have never got to him.

As expected they are playing possession football but more often than not their final pass was long to either of their 2 wide men or down the channels for one of their 3 front men to challenge for. Twice they work the ball through the middle to free players in the box but fortunately neither could hit the target.

Gradually we gained in confidence and 13 minutes in a fine piece of interplay down their left wins a corner that, surprise, surprise, Williams launches to the far post where Hutch's header isn't threatening.

Further patient play of 10-12 passes ends with AOB's over-hit cross going harmlessly behind for a goal kick.

After a period of Lions dominance, and with Wallace nowhere to be seen, we are ripped apart down our right flank freeing another Wolves player to blast narrowly wide.

Another fine 10-12 pass move ends with Morison chesting down AOB's cross and failing to test their keeper when he should have least hit the target. But still encouraging signs.

An intricate move frees Meredith, whose byline layback is scrambled clear.

Webster does well to muscle one of their players off-the-ball that draws loud crowd appeals for a penalty. Referee gives a goal kick. Right decision.

We're now in our best 10 minutes of the game. Retaining possession and creating 1/4 chances. Harris switches Wallace and AOB and this twat behind me gives Aiden a bollocking for being out of position! Some of our supporters are gormless.

Their main tactic is switching the ball several times in the middle before delivering long balls to their wide men in space.

40 minutes in and Webster picks up a yellow. Harsh, but again there was no need to commit himself 30 yards from goal and with their player's back to the goal.

Meredith is fouled on the left and Webster's header from the free kick is deflected for a Williams' corner. Morison's free far post header is blocked.

Approaching halftime Wolves get behind Meredith, Webster stretched clearance falls nicely for another Wolves effort to go wide.

H-T 1-0.

Wolves the better side but we haven't been outplayed. Wolves are playing 3-4-3 with 2 of their front 3 dropping back for them to outnumber us 6-4 in midfield. Wolves' 2 wide players are permanently anchored on the touchlines under little pressure from AOB or Wallace. Fortunately, we have 2 top fullbacks to deal with this danger.

Wolves have looked vulnerable to the lofted ball from the flanks but Morison has looked off the pace. Shame Elliott’s not on the bench to replace. I'm sure he will have frightened the life out of them and perhaps setup a decent chance for Gregory.

Webster must not over-commit, especially with him on a yellow.

Meredith our best player in the 1st 45.

2nd half tactics. If AOB and Wallace can get closer to their wide players and we continue attacking as we have done in the 1st half, we can get something from this game.

2nd half underway and AOB is immediately tight on Vingre, but having said that, he still tricks his way to the byline but Meredith comfortably deals with his class.

49 minutes and Williams hits a superb ball to AOB who chests it pass his marker to deliver a testing cross. No end-product as Gregory is easily muscled out of contention but a fine move.

Wolves are sticking to their ticky-tacky play and eventually trying their luck from outside the box. Several unthreatening efforts go for goal kicks and Archer comfortably catches the one on target.

Morison heads Meredith's deflected cross way over.

AOB is growing in confidence but is caught in possession just inside our half. Showing admirable determination he tries to regain the ball over-zealously. Definitely a free kick but with Jota receiving his "last rites" the crowd bay for a red card. The Referee opts for a yellow, still harsh but can't grumble too much, and Jota miraculously comes back from the dead.

For all their possession the main difference between the two teams is they are composed in the final third and we rush things.

The Referee books their Douglas for an off-the-ball incident. He's doing well!

For all their fancy play, Wolves are not holding back with several borderline yellow card tackles but no bookings.

Wallace weaves his way into the box but his left footed effort goes harmlessly for a goal kick.

64 minutes and the turning point of the match. A clearly fired-up AOB brings down their right back. Possibly six of one and half a dozen of the other but another harsh yellow and it's goodbye to AOB and our chances of getting anything from this match.

It's going to be a long last 26 minutes.

For the next 10 minutes Wolves are camped in our half raining-in several efforts with only one on target that is kept out by an excellent Archer tip over the bar.

Living off scraps of possession, Gregory does well to win, retain and lay the ball back for Wallace, once again, to fail to test the keeper.

78 minutes Fred and Fergie replace Wallace and Meredith. Not sure of the wisdom to hook Meredith off. No one to replace Morison who’s having a stinker.

Fred looks confident and his patient trickery wins a corner that Williams again delivers to the far post. Webster heads back but somebody is penalised in the 6 yard box and an opportunity is lost.

Wolves are showboating but still managed to free somebody. Brave defending halts the cross at the expense of a corner.

A combination of an Archer save, timely Webster tackle and a McLaughlin (I think) header stops them scoring and gives us hope we might still get something from the game.

Archer nearly blots his copybook with a poor throw out that fails to reach either Fred or McLaughlin but the danger is averted.

Five minutes of extra-time and we force them back. More Fred trickery ends with his shot cum centre palmed for a Fergie corner that is scrambled to Williams whose 1st time volley requires a reflex save to prevent an equaliser.

Final whistle. 1-0 defeat. A brave and not out classed performance against the best team we've played this season.

Individual Assessments

Archer: 8. MOTM. Several excellent saves and it didn't look like he had any chance with the goal. One dodgy throw out and went walkabout for one corner but his best match for ages.
McLaughlin: 7. This guy quietly goes about his job and manages to shore up our right side despite Wallace constantly going AWOL.
Webster: 6. I love this guy but it was his initial mistake that started the move that lead to their goal. On 3 occasions in the first-half he went for balls that, IMO, he shouldn't have but rectified this problem at half-time to have a storming 2nd half.
Hutch: 7. Another competent display.
Meredith: 7. Very good 1st half, stretched a bit more in the 2nd.
Wallace: 5. Today we perhaps saw why he struggled at Wolves. Got into several promising positions and wasted them all. Defensively constantly AWOL!
Williams: 7. Composed and didn't look out of place against Wolves expensive acquisitions. Don't remember him getting caught in possession but I'm sure someone will tell me I’ve got that wrong! His fine volley at the death nearly salvaged a point. Several of his passes stretched them.
Saville: 6. Did he try TOO HARD? Not his best game but put in a shift. Caught in possession too often.
AOB: 6. On the plus side, up to his 2 yellows, arguably his most complete performance for the Lions. Confident on the ball going forward. Took on opponents and mixed up layoffs with crosses. Was really trying hard defensively but 2 errors of judgement effectively ended our game.
Morison: 5. One of his poorest games for us. Option choice and execution poor. On one occasion late in the game Fred displayed fine skills and played a 1-2 with Steve. A simple pass would has set Fred free behind them, but Morison turned inside and his square pass was easily picked-off and they broke. Massively wrong decision.
Gregory: 5. I think today Lee's weaknesses were exposed. Never looked threatening and let down by a poor 1st touch. As always put in a full shift.
Fred: 7. The 1st time I've seen Fred come on and look threatening. Beat his full back by going outside and cutting inside, delivered testing crosses and was strong defensively.
Fergie: 6. Had little chance to influence the game especially with us a man short. His corner nearly lead to a Williams equaliser.

Neil: 6. Thought the team played well and despite, I suspect, possession statistics high in Wolves favour most of the time they weren't threatening us. My criticism would be that he could have brought on Fred for Morison and, given their 3-4-3, started with Fergie and AOB.

Kings Ferry & Driver: 1. Why they chose to go through the centre of London directly through a democracy demonstration then pass Lords at 11:00 on the 3rd day of a Test Match is beyond me. Throw in there are normally road works on the M1 at weekends and I find the whole episode baffling. Five and a quarter hours to drive 130 miles is ridiculous. Hopefully for the Birmingham and Villa games he will make his way to the M25 Orpington Junction and then pick-up the M4 and M40 to Birmingham. To compound my dismay told me we were at Euston, only for me to realise after disembarking that I was halfway between Baker Street and Regents Park!

In Summary

Plenty of positives from this game. We've conceded just 2 goals from 3 away games this season; we are mixing up our options going forward and, although this is our 3rd defeat, we could easily have had 16 points after 6 games instead of just 5. So far we are not out of place in this division.

On the negative side. In the final third of the pitch we are lacking composure. Too many unnecessary flicks that don't come off and the inability to pass to feet in and around the opposition's box. Lee, despite his tireless performances, looks out of his depth and Morison is inconsistent.

Anyway, let's see how things go on Tuesday. I wouldn't be surprised if we take all 3 points. No folks, you're not dreaming, Purley and Pearls and Purely are more optimistic than this stage last season!

Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
09 September 2017 22:35 Post ID: #1551759 - in reply to #1551755
Supreme MO
Thanks Purley
Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 00:26 Post ID: #1551772 - in reply to #1551755
Supreme MO
Thanks to Purely too!
Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 00:39 Post ID: #1551774 - in reply to #1551755
Legend MO
And Parsley....
Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 06:33 Post ID: #1551782 - in reply to #1551755
Legend MO
Many thanks for your take on the game Purley. It was a very good read.
I was observing matters from afar and was shocked to have been able to watch the whole of Final Score live on my iPhone. Whereas on my iPad it said it was unavailable in my area. I do agree with your positives that we have only conceded 2 goals away from home in three matches. I just hope that we can pick up points at Loftus Road and I am equally hopeful that it might be on BBC Radio London.
I was fairly hopeful of being able to buy a match pass for iFollow but it took two emails and a PM discussion with our resident iF expert(BP) to ascertain the truth.
Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 12:24 Post ID: #1551815 - in reply to #1551755
Loyal MO
Thanks Purley, just about how I saw the game also.

Edited by Lionmush 10/9/2017 12:25
Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 12:28 Post ID: #1551817 - in reply to #1551755
Supreme MO
no panic yet, besides we will beat queers ponce rapers, and then take the smugness away from the yorkshire nonces weeds, they will melt at the den, fucking wrong uns
Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 14:00 Post ID: #1551828 - in reply to #1551755
MOjo
Good work Purley,

We did well to keep that score to 1-0, the defence with Archer on top form resisted what felt like a tide from time to time. They stretched the play with keeping their wide men hugging the touch line, both our full backs did very well containing that, particularly given our wide midfield offered little in cover. I was surprised NH didn't opt for Fergi from the off has he does give that.

As happened a number of times last season we were outdone in the middle of the park both in numbers and skill, I don't want this to be too negative, however Jota and co had a bit too much room. Williams played well though, Tunnicliffe for Wallace , Fergi for AOB early in the second half may have helped. One out of the blue, I know he isn't in the squad, Ben is the type of player that would have upset their rhythm and would have probably been booked.

The positives as stated by others, we are doing OK against some expensive well established sides. I'm looking forward to QPR as I managed to get a ticket .
Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 14:55 Post ID: #1551836 - in reply to #1551755
MOjo
I did wonder why you got out there.

Tactics: We sat to deep and should have pressed in our own half.

Morisson: Marked by two defenders who between them won just about everything in the air.

Fred: For the love of god give him more than the last tem minutes. No where enough time to get into the game and this is the third time I have seen it this season,

Wolves are no better than Norwich, We gave them far too much respect and which gave them room to play how they wanted.
Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 15:23 Post ID: #1551840 - in reply to #1551836
Legend MO
HappyLion - 10/9/2017 14:55

??????

Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 15:31 Post ID: #1551842 - in reply to #1551840
Legend MO
PurleyLion - 10/9/2017 15:23

HappyLion - 10/9/2017 14:55

????

Sorry, just realised what you are talking about. I said I wanted to get off at Euston or Victoria and someone said "This is Euston" and when the coach stopped at the next set of traffic lights I was told "get out here". In the end it wasn't too bad, 5 minutes walk to Regents Park, Bakerloo Line to Oxford Circus, a walk of 25 yards and straight onto the Victoria Line. Including a 15 minute walk from Purley Oaks was home by 21:15. Not too shabby in anyone's book.

Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 16:13 Post ID: #1551853 - in reply to #1551755
Supreme MO
Oh, do you live in Purley, Purely?
Like post
Like this post
10 September 2017 16:21 Post ID: #1551855 - in reply to #1551755
Legend MO
Even though I am watching events from foreign shores I was very surprised that I could watch the extended highlights on iFollow. I did sign up for their free subscription but I didn't realise that would entitle me to watch the extended highlights. Such are the vagueries of these things.
I thought, with a bit more luck we might have got a point. I counted two reasonable half chances for Morison and even the commentator said that our skipper was not having the best of afternoons. There was one for Wallace that he did not catch well, a decent curling effort from Fred and a last gasp low drive from Williams which, on another day would have found its way to the back of the net through a sea of legs. Archer had a decent game, no chance with the goal but some decent stops and the commentator praised his efforts.
On the evidence of ten minutes of highlights they didn't look much different from Norwich. Some good possession, some flowing moves and some decent chances but on another day it might not have gone their way.
As for AOB he just let his inexperience show through and the second yellow was right. Maybe he was trying just a bit too hard
Certainly, there was nothing for us to panic about and the big test will be whether we can learn from this loss and come back and defeat QP ha ha and their popular manager. Time will tell!
Like post
Like this post
11 September 2017 08:15 Post ID: #1551884 - in reply to #1551755
MOaner
Purley,

That first yellow for AOB was borderline red and he was lucky to get a yellow, lunge, over the top of the ball. Doesn't matter that Jota made a meal of it. But to pull someone back when on a yellow, when they're attacking at speed is brain dead to be honest, both yellow cards more than deserved.

As for the performance, a long day out to watch an abysmal performance, Fred was the bright spot when he came on, but I don't think Stevie boy likes passing to him
Like post
Like this post
11 September 2017 08:31 Post ID: #1551891 - in reply to #1551884
MOjo
Bexleyheath_lion - 11/9/2017 08:15

Purley,

That first yellow for AOB was borderline red and he was lucky to get a yellow, lunge, over the top of the ball. Doesn't matter that Jota made a meal of it. But to pull someone back when on a yellow, when they're attacking at speed is brain dead to be honest, both yellow cards more than deserved.

As for the performance, a long day out to watch an abysmal performance, Fred was the bright spot when he came on, but I don't think Stevie boy likes passing to him

I'd forgotten that, Stevie should have passed to Fred on a couple of occasions. Maybe it was the note that Fred gave him (I assume from NH) when he came on, 'don't pass to Fred'.
Like post
Like this post
11 September 2017 08:41 Post ID: #1551893 - in reply to #1551755
Supreme MO
Is this a record for the number of word used in a 'Just Back?'

Whisky, do you remember hacks at the Express being paid per thousand words? I bet the Linotype operators loved banging the overtime in.

I don't want to come over as un ungrateful bastard, but it there any chance of a 'Just Back Lite' for those of us who have an attention span of a Goldfish?

Firewall - have a look through it mate and post up the important bits. Thanks mate.

Like post
Like this post
11 September 2017 08:48 Post ID: #1551896 - in reply to #1551893
MOjo
ParisWall - 11/9/2017 08:41

Is this a record for the number of word used in a 'Just Back?'

Whisky, do you remember hacks at the Express being paid per thousand words? I bet the Linotype operators loved banging the overtime in.

I don't want to come over as un ungrateful bastard, but it there any chance of a 'Just Back Lite' for those of us who have an attention span of a Goldfish?

Firewall - have a look through it mate and post up the important bits. Thanks mate.

:tup:

All well and good you doing a word count, can you please let us know when your next game is?
Derby away per chance, or will you get to the Den prior to that? And if you can produce another of those just back's you specialised in, which was more about the pub than the game.

Just asking......
Like post
Like this post
Pages (2):
Jump to forum: