Millwall Forum - Justin Back Late
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: For those of you watching in black and white, Tottenham Hotspur are playing in yellow" - john Motson
- (Added by: dunstable lion)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Millwall v Hull City
Suggested By:
Millwall win51%
Hull win21%
Draw28%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.waterloowacker191
2.midway lion176
3.ParisWall159
4.numbernine140
5.whiskylion116
6.King of The Jungle80
7.PurleyLion75
8.Kryan Bing62
9.Arthur2shedsJackson61
10.BigPaul57
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Justin Back Late
22 October 2017 12:32 Post ID: #1558306
MOjo
With Silver in China and Purley needing a break it falls to me to be Justin for the visit of Brum. Back late yesterday from the game and with work commitments this morning means this is being filed when most will have moved on from the game.

I travelled up early of Saturday as I was planning on meeting my lad over at Spitalfields for lunch and a catch up, it was windy so the trains from the South coast have to go very slowly, how many more excuses can Southern come up with to run a shit service, leafs on the line, wrong sort of snow, its windy, ffs. Walking out of London Bridge station at 1pm-ish a plod-man comes running past talking excitedly into his phone “ there’s about thirty normal ones in football shirts heading your way”, on the street four of the modern day black Maria’s with sirens whirling are on route to a meet with someone.

I was apprehensive about this game, after being well beaten by Barnsley and the disappointment of Brentford I wasn’t confident about facing another team beginning with B, plus our record against them is very poor, something like one win in sixteen prior to yesterday. Getting to the ground seeing Morison warming up was a surprise and strangely a little disappointing, surely Elliot was worth a start, all of his sub appearances have resulted opposition defenders having panic attacks and us playing with slightly more tempo.

Training ground tip; By all accounts Elliot was absolutely gutted at not starting, Harris promised him twenty minutes when giving him the news.

We started well, lots of good pressure and a mix of joined up football and searching long balls. Within the first ten minutes or so it was obvious that Morison was back in terms of leading the line, winning headers, harassing defenders playing off of Gregory, clearly back to the player we know rather the shadow of his previous few games. Gregory’s work rate remains phenomenal, whilst he isn’t scoring, which is his primary job he still looks a championship player, pulling defenders all over the place with his movement and running. We had a good twenty minutes of pressure with no breakthrough a few half chances but nothing gold plated, it worries me when have good possession and there is nothing tangible from it, patience is a virtue, just keep plugging away and something will give. Birmingham have a good breakaway with their tricky winger closing in, Cooper goes to ground, winger delays long enough for Cooper to not recover the shot is agonisingly close, this is my fear, we get mugged. First half ends with us looking the stronger, comfortable but a little toothless.

Training ground tip; Fred got injured in training on Friday, Twardek had to be brought back from the U23 game in Bristol.

The second half started at a pace, Jed continuing with his strong surging runs, these being on the right, on the left, through the middle, chasing back, ‘he’s here, he’s there he’s everywhere’, I’d love to know the miles he covers in a game. Morison makes the decisive move, past one defender, almost passes the ball through the legs of another, into the six yard box, strikes it across the face for their defender to side foot home, the Den erupts. Just what we needed early on, just what the game needed as Birmingham now have to come out and have a go. The opening up of the game suited us, more space in the middle of the pitch saw Jed-Savile-Tunnicliffe less stifled, almost with more freedom, both the fullbacks came more into it, they made substitutions, we carried on rattling them. The move of the match was joyous in its execution, for those that weren’t there I’m sure you’ve seen it on the highlights, just to be clear, Gregory receives the ball in the centre cirle, controls and makes the pass to Elliot without even looking up, when Tom takes that pass in his stride he has a lot to do, he’s quick for a big bloke, the back peddling defenders are not so much brushed aside, they are in fear and allow him the room to unleash a shot that has enough power that when the keep parries it out it is almost on the edge of the 18yd line. Tunnicliffe has the coolest head in the ground and places his side footed shot to avoid all bodies and legs, now the Den celebrates.

Training ground tip; I ask my man, do the players get a lift when Miiiilllll is reverberating around the ground, does it really make a difference? Conor told him he’d never experienced anything like it at a game, he reckoned the hairs on the back of his neck stand up when we are really giving it. Good to know that we can make a difference.

So a really good team performance all over the pitch;

Archer; Little to do, no errors
Conor; Good attacking game.
Cooper; Better than last week, wins his Aerial battles, distribution is a bit wayward
Hutch; A supreme defender, my MoM
Meredith; Same as Conor, solid-solid-solid
Jed; Excellent game
Savile; Battle all the way and beginning to click with Ryan
Tunnicliffe; Finding his feet, quality goal
AOB; A bit part for most of the game
Morison; Back to his best
Gregory; As already stated very good.
Fergie; Consistent and never lets you down, good deliverie
Elliot; Knocking on the door, scaring defenders, giving us something different, love to see him start, can’t really drop the other front two though.

Edited by FireWall 22/10/2017 12:37
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
22 October 2017 13:18 Post ID: #1558311 - in reply to #1558306
Supreme MO
Fire blanket

I'm off down the pub in a couple of minutes.

Any chance you sum-up the above report in a couple of paragraphs?

Just a flavour of the game would suffice - not the first fucking draft of War and Peace.

I'll be home around four.

Cheers, mate.

Like post
Like this post
22 October 2017 14:48 Post ID: #1558322 - in reply to #1558306
Supreme MO
Gregory reminds me of Scott McDonald in the way he looks quite laid back. 

As a goal scorer McDonald had proven himself Championship quality at Middlesborough. Scoring 37 goals in 3 seasons. Holloway then played him behind the front two & the goals dried up. He's still scoring in Scotland.

Unlike McDonald, Gregory may be suited to playing behind the front two. As his movement is good. It won't reduce his scoring as unlike McDonald he has rarely scored in the Championship.

However Harris won't change from 4 4 2. Which is correct as 4 4 2 is working.
Like post
Like this post
22 October 2017 14:58 Post ID: #1558327 - in reply to #1558306
Supreme MO
Elliot reminds me of Fashunu & Shaun Batt. All fast over long distances.

Batt was the fastest I have seen, although didn't have much end product. Elliot is more composed when travelling at speed.
Like post
Like this post
22 October 2017 15:09 Post ID: #1558331 - in reply to #1558306
Legend MO
Thanks for your take on the game FW.Watched the extended highlights here in China and I thought we looked very good. What a difference Morison makes! When he crossed that ball the defender was caught between a rock and a hard place. Try to divert it wide of the goal, hack it clear or jump over it for AOB to slice it wide. There is too much pace on it for him to do anything other than put it in.
Tunnicliffe looked good and he kept a cool head to side foot it in.
My mate text me at 3 am to say 2-0 good win. What a relief!
Will be back for the Burton game.
Like post
Like this post
22 October 2017 18:56 Post ID: #1558363 - in reply to #1558311
MOjo
ParisWall - 22/10/2017 13:18

Fire blanket

Just a flavour of the game would suffice - not the first fucking draft of War and Peace.

Cheers, mate.
:tup:

In the absence of Kev you are turning into a bit of a cult. When I write several thousand words in the Knock Knocking series you're full of it , that's because it's about you. As soon as it turns to something else all the snide comments come out. You're one of those "that's enough about me, lets talk about me" people.

Like post
Like this post
22 October 2017 19:39 Post ID: #1558368 - in reply to #1558322
MOjo
Millwalladam - 22/10/2017 14:48

Gregory reminds me of Scott McDonald in the way he looks quite laid back. 

As a goal scorer McDonald had proven himself Championship quality at Middlesborough. Scoring 37 goals in 3 seasons. Holloway then played him behind the front two & the goals dried up. He's still scoring in Scotland.

Unlike McDonald, Gregory may be suited to playing behind the front two. As his movement is good. It won't reduce his scoring as unlike McDonald he has rarely scored in the Championship.

However Harris won't change from 4 4 2. Which is correct as 4 4 2 is working.

I don't see Gregs playing behind the front 2 at all. I don't see him as that kind of player. Gregs strength is pulling off the shoulder of the last man, not playing deep. I don't see Gregs and McDonald as similiar players.
Like post
Like this post
22 October 2017 20:38 Post ID: #1558371 - in reply to #1558363
Legend MO
FireWall - 22/10/2017 18:56

Fire blanket

Cheers, mate.

In the absence of Kev you are turning into a bit of a cult. When I write several thousand words in the Knock Knocking series you're full of it , that's because it's about you. As soon as it turns to something else all the snide comments come out. You're one of those "that's enough about me, lets talk about me" people.

Is that a no, then, Fire...?

Like post
Like this post
22 October 2017 20:40 Post ID: #1558372 - in reply to #1558306
GeroniMO
AOB or Fred behind the front two, not Gregory.
Like post
Like this post
22 October 2017 20:41 Post ID: #1558375 - in reply to #1558363
Supreme MO
FireWall - 22/10/2017 18:56

Fire blanket

Cheers, mate.

Like post
Like this post
22 October 2017 22:27 Post ID: #1558378 - in reply to #1558306
Sea MOnster
Thanks Firewall -quite an accurate report but a bit hard on O'Brien - thought he put in a decent shift . Anyway, I enjoyed the game so much I sat up watching it on Sky until 03.00 today instead of being tucked up in my bunk with a nice hot mug of Kai and a Digestive at 22.00 - I know, sad old sod who needs certifying
Like post
Like this post
23 October 2017 08:13 Post ID: #1558389 - in reply to #1558378
Supreme MO
obeney - 22/10/2017 22:27

Thanks Firewall -quite an accurate report but a bit hard on O'Brien - thought he put in a decent shift . Anyway, I enjoyed the game so much I sat up watching it on Sky until 03.00 today instead of being tucked up in my bunk with a nice hot mug of Kai and a Digestive at 22.00 - I know, sad old sod who needs certifying :hihi:

How does poor Alfie put up with you, telly blaring and his sleep is ruined once more, if it's not parties its late night telly..........what a dogs life he has.
Like post
Like this post
23 October 2017 16:22 Post ID: #1558433 - in reply to #1558306
Supreme MO
The 'Football League Paper' said Cooper was sold a dummy in the first half. Surely not Coops.

Cooper could see the strikers angle was running out so went to ground to block any low shot while the strikers angle was still good. This prevented the striker getting his shot away a second earlier.

But must admit the eventual shot from a tighter angle was a bit too close for my liking.

Cooper will either be telling Harris this or admitting he was sold a dummy. Whichever is true hopefully.
Like post
Like this post
23 October 2017 22:16 Post ID: #1558462 - in reply to #1558306
MOhican
Fire, even though I watched the match live, I really enjoyed your report. I like the detail you put in including the journey down to the match. It gives me a sense of the atmosphere and the build up, as I miss south London and it brings back memories.
You put a lot of effort into it and it is much appreciated. As are all the “ just backs”.
Like post
Like this post
23 October 2017 23:22 Post ID: #1558471 - in reply to #1558306
Sea MOnster
Oi Lionheart, his snoring drowns out the commentary so he's got sod all to complain about.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: