Millwall Forum - Laser eye surgery.
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: So I went to the dentist. He said "Say Aaah." I said "Why?" He said "My dog's died.'" Tommy Cooper
- (Added by: lionrob)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Hull MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Archer15%
McLaughlin2%
Hutchinson2%
Cooper1%
Meredith8%
O'Brien22%
Tunnicliffe3%
Saville30%
Ferguson1%
Elliott1%
Gregory3%
Sub - Morison3%
Sub - Onyedinma3%
Sub - Twardek6%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.waterloowacker209
2.midway lion200
3.ParisWall165
4.numbernine146
5.whiskylion120
6.PurleyLion84
7.King of The Jungle82
8.unit469
9.BigPaul69
10.Kryan Bing65
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Laser eye surgery.
30 October 2017 09:45 Post ID: #1558964
GeroniMO
Anybody had this recently? I'm 43 now and sick of wearing bins,
I tried contact lenses and there not for me. Any info would be good.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
30 October 2017 10:05 Post ID: #1558965 - in reply to #1558964
Sir MO
I had it done around 8 years ago at Optimax in Manchester, i had the expensive option which isn't as painful. Initially there was a lot of eye drops that i had to use for the first few months, it was quite a lot in the first few weeks maybe 6 - 8 times a day with different eye drops, then it gradually decreases how many times you have to use them, some you only need to use for the first few weeks.

So 8 years on, i was initially short sighted, i had a slight astigmatism which they correct. My distance sight is very good, i need it for my job. Initially after the surgery my short sight was excellent as well, they do point out to you that with age you'll still probably need reading glasses for very short sighted things that are close to your face as age affects your ability to see things that are very close. It's just things that are very close to you that you will still struggle to read, once you get say a couple of feet from your face it's fine, it's just reading things like labels, books and paperwork etc that you will probably need reading glasses once you get into your 40's.

Their is an option which they offered to me where you won't need reading glasses, back then it worked out at £2k per eye. It's basically artificial lens implants which they permanently put into your eye to replace your own.

Mine was either Lasik or Lasek, can't remember the exact one, it was the more expensive one. You won't feel anything during the surgery, it's fairly quick. it's more just the aftercare with eye drops and wearing sunglasses for a while that's the only slight negative.
Like post
Like this post
30 October 2017 10:25 Post ID: #1558972 - in reply to #1558965
Supreme MO
Lions Fan Up Norf - 30/10/2017 10:05

I had it done around 8 years ago at Optimax in Manchester, i had the expensive option which isn't as painful. Initially there was a lot of eye drops that i had to use for the first few months, it was quite a lot in the first few weeks maybe 6 - 8 times a day with different eye drops, then it gradually decreases how many times you have to use them, some you only need to use for the first few weeks.

So 8 years on, i was initially short sighted, i had a slight astigmatism which they correct. My distance sight is very good, i need it for my job. Initially after the surgery my short sight was excellent as well, they do point out to you that with age you'll still probably need reading glasses for very short sighted things that are close to your face as age affects your ability to see things that are very close. It's just things that are very close to you that you will still struggle to read, once you get say a couple of feet from your face it's fine, it's just reading things like labels, books and paperwork etc that you will probably need reading glasses once you get into your 40's.

Their is an option which they offered to me where you won't need reading glasses, back then it worked out at £2k per eye. It's basically artificial lens implants which they permanently put into your eye to replace your own.

Mine was either Lasik or Lasek, can't remember the exact one, it was the more expensive one. You won't feel anything during the surgery, it's fairly quick. it's more just the aftercare with eye drops and wearing sunglasses for a while that's the only slight negative.

Was going to say with today's technology I can't believe people still wear glasses. However 2k per eye is a lot. There seems to be a lot of after care & you may still end having to wear glasses to do regular things.

As you said you had the expensive version so 8 years on it will be cheaper if you shop around.

Glasses would be the last resort for me. After laser eye surgery & contacts. Mainly me being a vain c--t. However people who were wearing glasses pre laser technology would have got used to wearing them, so wouldn't rush to have the operstion.

Like post
Like this post
30 October 2017 10:48 Post ID: #1558975 - in reply to #1558964
MOaner
If it goes well give the number to Lee Gregory, might improve his shooting ability
Like post
Like this post
30 October 2017 11:17 Post ID: #1558978 - in reply to #1558964
Supreme MO
Like post
Like this post
30 October 2017 11:20 Post ID: #1558979 - in reply to #1558964
Legend MO
Strange but true story....

Back in the late 1970s I owned a News Agency which covered a large section of the East Midlands. But I was always on the lookout for stories further field.

To that effect I would, late at night, sometimes tune in to Radio Moscow and listen to a programme, in English, which they called Kaleidoscope, or something. Of the five or six stories that they featured covering superior Soviet life, nearly all would be propaganda bullshit, but the odd one or two would be for real. The trick was to spot which was which.

One night they did a feature on how they had invented a thing called Laser Eye Surgery and interviewed the professor who had overseen research and perfected it.

Now this sounded like one of the possible true stories. So I took notes and the next morning rang the Tass News Agency who then directed me to an internal News Agency within the USSR.

After three or four hours of scrabbling around with them I managed to speak to an Editor who spoke English and he gave me the contact details of the professor who had been featured. Remember, this was right in the middle of the Cold War.

That afternoon I was able to track down the scientist, who spoke decent English. He gave me the full story with great enthusiasm. And told me no other journalist had contacted him.

The next day I sold the story around Europe and the world, the Daily Mirror here taking the UK exclusive.

Ironically, when my own sight deteriorated with age, I was told the my eyes wouldn't really suit laser surgery. I wear daily changeable contacts instead...

But there you go. A story I brought the world some 40 years ago...!!

Like post
Like this post
30 October 2017 12:03 Post ID: #1558986 - in reply to #1558964
MOnster
One thing I've never figured out about people born with poor eyesight. Is it that they look like they should be wearing glasses, even with eyes corrected, or that they look like they should be wearing glasses because they act like they used to. These people simply look like they should wear glasses. That probably doesn't make sense though.
Like post
Like this post
30 October 2017 12:05 Post ID: #1558987 - in reply to #1558964
MOnster
See, told you he was MI6.
Like post
Like this post
30 October 2017 13:47 Post ID: #1559006 - in reply to #1558979
Supreme MO
whiskylion - 30/10/2017 11:20

Back in the late 1970s I owned a News Agency which covered a large section of the East Midlands. But I was always on the lookout for stories further field.

To that effect I would, late at night, sometimes tune in to Radio Moscow and listen to a programme, in English, which they called Kaleidoscope, or something. Of the five or six stories that they featured covering superior Soviet life, nearly all would be propaganda bullshit, but the odd one or two would be for real. The trick was to spot which was which.

One night they did a feature on how they had invented a thing called Laser Eye Surgery and interviewed the professor who had overseen research and perfected it.

Now this sounded like one of the possible true stories. So I took notes and the next morning rang the Tass News Agency who then directed me to an internal News Agency within the USSR.

After three or four hours of scrabbling around with them I managed to speak to an Editor who spoke English and he gave me the contact details of the professor who had been featured. Remember, this was right in the middle of the Cold War.

That afternoon I was able to track down the scientist, who spoke decent English. He gave me the full story with great enthusiasm. And told me no other journalist had contacted him.

The next day I sold the story around Europe and the world, the Daily Mirror here taking the UK exclusive.

Ironically, when my own sight deteriorated with age, I was told the my eyes wouldn't really suit laser surgery. I wear daily changeable contacts instead...

Was it Professor Vydontyo Takemov?

Like post
Like this post
30 October 2017 16:20 Post ID: #1559033 - in reply to #1558964
Legend MO
Me and the Missus had it done 14 years ago at a cost of, I think, £1600 each.

Before I could read small print but couldn't see distance. After the procedure, my long vision was, and still is, excellent but I need glasses to read. Much better than wearing contacts. I needed drops and eye covers at night for a couple of weeks, but no great hardship.

It's my understanding the procedures have been improved so that after the operation you can have excellent short and long sightedness and it is cheaper.

I used a company called Ultralase who were excellent but I think they've been taken over.

Well worth the money and I'm glad I had it done
Like post
Like this post
30 October 2017 16:34 Post ID: #1559035 - in reply to #1559006
Legend MO
ParisWall - 30/10/2017 13:47

whiskylion - 30/10/2017 11:20

Was it Professor Vydontyo Takemov?

:grin:

That's him. Husband of Svetlana Nickersov.

Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: