Millwall Forum - Just back Hillsborough
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: I have killed no one and I have ordered no one to be killed ... Charles Manson
- (Added by: igor_belgrade)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Hull MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Archer16%
McLaughlin0%
Hutchinson3%
Cooper0%
Meredith10%
O'Brien20%
Tunnicliffe4%
Saville27%
Ferguson1%
Elliott1%
Gregory4%
Sub - Morison4%
Sub - Onyedinma3%
Sub - Twardek7%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.waterloowacker209
2.midway lion191
3.ParisWall162
4.numbernine141
5.whiskylion119
6.PurleyLion84
7.King of The Jungle80
8.unit466
9.Kryan Bing65
10.BigPaul64
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (3):
2 3
Just back Hillsborough
31 October 2017 23:33 Post ID: #1559239
Supreme MO
Everyone were surpried to see Morison and Gregory named on the bench tonight and that Neil had opted for a Fred Elliott frontline...I said a Fred Elliott frontline!!!, anyway we were slow out of the traps and allowed them far too much time and space on the left wing and in one simple motion the ball was knocked out to their bloke on the wing he had all the time in the world to knock it back in picking out one of their players and bang we are one down after just 5 minute.
I feared we were going to get a hiding and Archer had to make a few decent saves to keep it just the one goal against but then we started playing some decent stuff and deservingly equalised after Fred held of two challenges and had a shot the keeper parried away only for Elliott to follow it up and score from a acute angle.
We piled on the pressure and some desperate defending from them prevented us from carving them apart, then the sucker punch just before half time, they broke got the ball out to the left again cross and Rhodes scored their second.
Second half we looked more lively and Wallace created a one on one with their keeper, took one touch too many and the keeper made a good save, after that we were one ball away from creating something and Archer made a couple of good saves and Wednesday also hit the post, Cooper picked up two soft yellow cards so saw red.
My overall verdict is we could had got a point but we could had lost 4 or 5-1 as well, Wednesday had plenty of chances but didn't seem too big a threat in my eyes.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
31 October 2017 23:44 Post ID: #1559241 - in reply to #1559239
MOhican
Cheers ringo
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2017 23:45 Post ID: #1559242 - in reply to #1559239
Legend MO
Thanks, Ringo.

You'll not be surprised that I didn't get the changes up front. With Wednesday struggling a bit, this was the perfect game to frustrate them - with Morison and Gregory defending from the front - and then hit them as they got more desperate.

Seems like all the hard work at Cardiff was wasted.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 00:26 Post ID: #1559245 - in reply to #1559239
Supreme MO
Great report Ringo, just watched the highlights & it looked like Wallace failed to pick up the player who crossed for the opener & McLaughlin let Rhodes go for their second goal.
Shit defending really.
Wallace was getting a load of stick on the Lions player.
Thought the sending off was bolloxs, it was only an obstruction & surely you can't get sent off for that?
Loved the Corrie pun but Fred was a butcher & Paris is only interested in fish & chips!
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 00:53 Post ID: #1559247 - in reply to #1559239
MOjo
Great report Ringo.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 05:14 Post ID: #1559251 - in reply to #1559239
Supreme MO
Thanks Ringo.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 07:06 Post ID: #1559257 - in reply to #1559239
MOjo
Thanks Ringo great report, concise and to the point.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 07:09 Post ID: #1559258 - in reply to #1559239
MOjo
And we're in trouble without Cooper for the Burton game.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 07:56 Post ID: #1559261 - in reply to #1559239
Legend MO
Thanks Ringo,
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 08:35 Post ID: #1559263 - in reply to #1559239
MOaner
Cheers Ringo.

Hardly wasted Whisky, its shown we do have forward that actually knows where the net thingy is. Two goals for Elliott in what equates to a total of maybe 2 games of football. Perhaps trying him with either Morison or Gregory and then having the other of the bench might be an idea. Regardless, Fred is not a forward, AOB isn't either really, Morison and Elliott are similar, ie target men although both have different attributes and Gregory for all is workmanship and guile has never been and never will be a natural finisher and wont score too many goals at this level. So we need a quick forward that can make the runs in behind.

Seems to me if we could mutate Freds pace, with Gregs guile and knack for getting into scoring chances and add in AOBs finishing, we'd have a £20m forward on our hands.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 09:51 Post ID: #1559275 - in reply to #1559239
Lawn MOer
To be honest i didn't think they were anything special and it was a point lost we should have won.
On another note i have never known 23,000 people be so quiet.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 09:58 Post ID: #1559276 - in reply to #1559239
Same as the cardiff game should have come away with more points but i'm happy with our season so far just need to get a away win and dont forget we finished 6th in league 1 and a lucky 6th at that so bring on burton and 3 more points home wins will keep us up.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 10:00 Post ID: #1559278 - in reply to #1559239
Legend MO
Thanks Ringo. Your report made a good read
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 10:39 Post ID: #1559280 - in reply to #1559239
Supreme MO
Thanks, Ringo for the report - all done and dusted in less than 5,000 words, just the way we like it!

I was hoping to file my own 'Just Back' but had a torrid time in the Steel City - I've only this minute, got home!

I missed Wednesday's first goal as I was queuing up for a tray of chips - yes, a schoolboy mistake, I agree.

Thought it was pretty even to be honest; but Gregory for Fred should have happened sooner - and Jake Cooper being sent off in stoppage time was just stupid.

But, we need to step up and be counted against Burton Albion on Saturday.

I'm afraid things got a bit out of hand at Helen's place - she had me pinned up against the Aga just after midnight; I put it down to the bottle of Aldi's Don Tomas Argentinian Malbec we had with the Chicken.

She said if I wanted to go up for The Blades match, next April, there would be a bed waiting for me. Think I'll give it a miss. A Day Return is only £13.00.

I ended up building a barricade in the bedroom - made my escape just after seven o'clock, McMuffin for breakfast at Sheffield Midland.

Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 10:43 Post ID: #1559282 - in reply to #1559280
Supreme MO
ParisWall - 1/11/2017 10:39

Thanks, Ringo for the report - all done and dusted in less than 5,000 words, just the way we like it!

I was hoping to file my own 'Just Back' but had a torrid time in the Steel City - I've only this minute, got home!

I missed Wednesday's first goal as I was queuing up for a tray of chips - yes, a schoolboy mistake, I agree.

Thought it was pretty even to be honest; but Gregory for Fred should have happened sooner - and Jake Cooper being sent off in stoppage time was just stupid.

I'm afraid things got a bit out of hand at Helen's place - she had me pinned up against the Aga just after midnight; I put it down to the bottle of Aldi's Don Tomas Argentinian Malbec we had with the Chicken.

She said if I wanted to go up for The Blades match, next April, there would be a bed waiting for me. Think I'll give it a miss. A Day Return is only £13.00.

I ended up building a barricade in the bedroom - made my escape just after seven o'clock, McMuffin for breakfast at Sheffield Midland.

:tup:

Fuck the match, did Helen get wet !
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 10:47 Post ID: #1559283 - in reply to #1559282
Supreme MO
lionheart48 - 1/11/2017 10:43

ParisWall - 1/11/2017 10:39

:tup:

Fuck the match, did Helen get wet ! :hihi:

No idea, mate.

I've never had sex with a 73 year-old woman - even at my age I prefer 25-35 age range, given a choice.

Like post
Like this post
01 November 2017 11:19 Post ID: #1559286 - in reply to #1559263
Legend MO
Bexleyheath_lion - 1/11/2017 08:35

Cheers Ringo.

Hardly wasted Whisky, its shown we do have forward that actually knows where the net thingy is. Two goals for Elliott in what equates to a total of maybe 2 games of football. Perhaps trying him with either Morison or Gregory and then having the other of the bench might be an idea. Regardless, Fred is not a forward, AOB isn't either really, Morison and Elliott are similar, ie target men although both have different attributes and Gregory for all is workmanship and guile has never been and never will be a natural finisher and wont score too many goals at this level. So we need a quick forward that can make the runs in behind.

Seems to me if we could mutate Freds pace, with Gregs guile and knack for getting into scoring chances and add in AOBs finishing, we'd have a £20m forward on our hands.

Totally see and understand your points, Bex.

But the thing is this: a goal not conceded is equal to one scored. And the way Millwall have been set up away from The Den under Harris this season we are a very tight unit with Morison and Gregory the front two defenders, as well as forwards.

It has worked brilliantly: as I have pointed out elsewhere Millwall have conceded away from home only TWICE all season when both Moro and Gregs are on the pitch - that is not just a coincidence.

One of the Cardiff coaching staff said to me after the game on Saturday that he felt a bit sorry for Gregory as he lost his defender about 15 times in the game (against the side with the best defensive record in the Championship) yet received a pass only once.

So, as I have long suspected, the goals will come from the front two when Millwall learn to mix their play up a bit better and play the through ball from ten yards rather than 25 and 35.

The moment you change personnel there is no way they will be as disciplined as our regular pairing. So, yes, they might get the odd goal here and there. But what is the point if, as a unit, we are weakened and concede two a game?

I know I keep referring to season 75/76. But i think it is worth re-visiting that season. Gordon Jago set up exactly the same system as NH has now.

In the run in at the end of the season with us chasing promotion in seven games - home and away - we scored three and conceded none. Away from him we battled out consecutive 0-0 draws at fellow promotion rivals Cardiff City, Hereford Utd and Crystal Palace. And we got promoted with our joint top scorer Gordon Hill on eight goals - and who had left us in early November...

Indeed, during that run in five games we chalked up four goal-less draws and a 1-0 win - courtesy of a Jon Moore goal...yes, a full back. The forwards were working far too hard making sure the opposition couldn't hurt us than to make loads of chances.

What Jago did then, as NH has done now, is fashion a side with a thou shalt not pass attitude.

I have seen this before and admire the fact that NH is doing it again today. That Gregory and Morison are not scoring many isn't bothering me: we are second top scorers at home! And until last night we had the best away defensive record in the Championship.

For me, you stick with these two lads. But you work far harder at getting quality balls through to them. The finishing of a striker who gets three decent chances in a game is a whole lot better than one living off his nerves because he know's he's going to get a half-chance at best.

And, as I say, what is the point of scoring one goal if you are more than likely going to concede two...?

Like post
Like this post
Pages (3):
2 3
Jump to forum: