Millwall Forum - Question for Whisky n/w
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: This fight is going to be as one sided as gang rape ...david haye
- (Added by: joeenolu)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Millwall v Middlesbrough
Suggested By:
Millwall win57%
Middlesbrough win 25%
Draw15%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.waterloowacker235
2.midway lion128
3.whiskylion122
4.ParisWall120
5.PurleyLion93
6.BigPaul85
7.numbernine78
8.unit474
9.High Life Street65
10.Kryan Bing64
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (3):
2 3
Question for Whisky n/w
25 November 2017 04:36 Post ID: #1561811
MOjo
Do you know which distilleries some of the single malts, badged under strange names, that only seem to be available over here come from? There are a few and compared to your Laphroig, Ardbeg etc are very good value, but rough around the edges... Two which immediately spring to mind are 10 yo Shieldaig (Islay) and 10 yo Glencullen (Speyside). Are these substandard products which are excess to the needs of the major distilleries that are then sold off cheaply and re badged or deliberate recipes distilled on a budget? Cheers.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
25 November 2017 07:04 Post ID: #1561812 - in reply to #1561811
GeroniMO
If he can answer that I'm monkey's uncle.
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 07:45 Post ID: #1561814 - in reply to #1561812
MOjo
bazzwall - 25/11/2017 07:04

I'm sure he will... You will be monkey's uncle Baz.
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 08:03 Post ID: #1561816 - in reply to #1561811
Supreme MO
I would have thought that was an easy question for a man of his calibre. Come on Whisky, send that one to the boundary.
Even I'm half interested, and I can't stand whisky.

At least I know for sure where my cognac comes from!
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 08:57 Post ID: #1561819 - in reply to #1561816
MOjo
BigPaul - 25/11/2017 08:03

I would have thought that was an easy question for a man of his calibre. Come on Whisky, send that one to the boundary.

At least I know for sure where my cognac comes from! :grin:
j

You been watching the ashes BP? I have - i think im homesick. Works out alright here though as starts at 1630 ending around midnight. Good on a day off.
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 10:14 Post ID: #1561824 - in reply to #1561811
Legend MO
No problem he'll answere that in no time.
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 10:37 Post ID: #1561826 - in reply to #1561819
Supreme MO
King of The Jungle - 25/11/2017 09:57

j

You been watching the ashes BP? I have - i think im homesick. Works out alright here though as starts at 1630 ending around midnight. Good on a day off.

It truly is one of the great pleasures of my life that has been ripped away from me by those bastards at Sky. I used to like nothing more than watching test matches on the telly, sometimes spending whole days wrapped up in the drama of it all.

Many people describe it as completely pointless, a bit like my other great love, angling. But surely, for a leisure pursuit, that is the whole point, isn't it?? To be pointless is sort of the reason for the pleasure.

Anyway, I played club cricket for many years. Never made a hundred (58 top score), but took about 250 catches behind the stumps, including a one handed one when the batsmen was on 99!!!
I refuse to pay a single penny to Sky, so a bit like Millwall with you know who, I am not able to follow the sport in a way I would like to.

KOTJ...Please do not feel bad about re-opening that old wound regarding the cricket. I will get over it in a matter of weeks
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 12:09 Post ID: #1561829 - in reply to #1561811
MOjo
Cricket, tried to like it, really tried, same with Whisky (the drink). I suppose I could try the drink the way Whisky (the person) has it, he spits and doesn't swallow.
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 12:20 Post ID: #1561832 - in reply to #1561811
Legend MO
King of The Jungle - 25/11/2017 04:36

Do you know which distilleries some of the single malts, badged under strange names, that only seem to be available over here come from? There are a few and compared to your Laphroig, Ardbeg etc are very good value, but rough around the edges... Two which immediately spring to mind are 10 yo Shieldaig (Islay) and 10 yo Glencullen (Speyside). Are these substandard products which are excess to the needs of the major distilleries that are then sold off cheaply and re badged or deliberate recipes distilled on a budget? Cheers.

Morning, KOJ.

The kind of brands you are talking about tend to be owned by Independent bottling companies. They may or may not own a distillery, the whisky from which they sell under the distillery name.

But they may also have large stocks of single malts which they sell under brand names like Shieldaig. That's owned by Ian McLeod, based near Edinburgh airport at Broxburn (former member of the Scottish League). I have done much bending work at their place over the years.

It is not that these whiskies are of inferior quality. There are many poor single malts brought out under the actually distillery name. I have known some of their whiskies to actually be Lagavulin single malt, but they were not allowed to say that as that brand name is owned by Diageo.

What you cannot guarantee is that the malt used in say, McFuckdust's 12-year-old Speyside, will come from the same distillery in five years' time. It is usually to do with availability. A distillery is happy to supply them for several years; then that distillery is taken over or has a sales surge and the supply is cut off. So the brand switches to a similar malt in stock.

Years ago many of these brands used to up the colour by adding caramel. Pleased to say that my constantly marking down in the Whisky Bible of caramel-coloured malts for a while brought a massive reduction to this miserable practice, though it has crept back slightly mainly from companies selling to the overseas markets where the darker the malt, the more prized is is...irrespective of quality...

In Kentucky at the moment, KOJ, visiting some distilleries out here and tasting. So in serious bourbon mode just now...

Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 12:41 Post ID: #1561835 - in reply to #1561811
Legend MO
Told yer
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 14:16 Post ID: #1561838 - in reply to #1561826
MOaner
BigPaul - 25/11/2017 10:37

j

It truly is one of the great pleasures of my life that has been ripped away from me by those bastards at Sky. I used to like nothing more than watching test matches on the telly, sometimes spending whole days wrapped up in the drama of it all.

Many people describe it as completely pointless, a bit like my other great love, angling. But surely, for a leisure pursuit, that is the whole point, isn't it?? To be pointless is sort of the reason for the pleasure.

Anyway, I played club cricket for many years. Never made a hundred (58 top score), but took about 250 catches behind the stumps, including a one handed one when the batsmen was on 99!!!
I refuse to pay a single penny to Sky, so a bit like Millwall with you know who, I am not able to follow the sport in a way I would like to.

KOTJ...Please do not feel bad about re-opening that old wound regarding the cricket. I will get over it in a matter of weeks :grin:

It’s not on Sky, it’s on BT Sport. I added it to my Virgin package just while the ashes are on, £18 a month, no drama.

I’m funny, never really had much interest in cricket but just love the ashes. It’s the history, rivalry, dramas etc love it.

Watched most of it last night. Lots of coffee. Feeling a bit cloudy today. My ‘all-nighter’ days are over. Even if it’s just to watch a bit of cricket lol
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 14:19 Post ID: #1561840 - in reply to #1561835
MOaner
rayleighlion - 25/11/2017 12:41

Told yer :hihi:

What this man doesn’t know about whisky isn’t worth knowing!
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 14:21 Post ID: #1561841 - in reply to #1561832
MOaner
whiskylion - 25/11/2017 12:20

Morning, KOJ.

The kind of brands you are talking about tend to be owned by Independent bottling companies. They may or may not own a distillery, the whisky from which they sell under the distillery name.

But they may also have large stocks of single malts which they sell under brand names like Shieldaig. That's owned by Ian McLeod, based near Edinburgh airport at Broxburn (former member of the Scottish League). I have done much bending work at their place over the years.

It is not that these whiskies are of inferior quality. There are many poor single malts brought out under the actually distillery name. I have known some of their whiskies to actually be Lagavulin single malt, but they were not allowed to say that as that brand name is owned by Diageo.

What you cannot guarantee is that the malt used in say, McFuckdust's 12-year-old Speyside, will come from the same distillery in five years' time. It is usually to do with availability. A distillery is happy to supply them for several years; then that distillery is taken over or has a sales surge and the supply is cut off. So the brand switches to a similar malt in stock.

Years ago many of these brands used to up the colour by adding caramel. Pleased to say that my constantly marking down in the Whisky Bible of caramel-coloured malts for a while brought a massive reduction to this miserable practice, though it has crept back slightly mainly from companies selling to the overseas markets where the darker the malt, the more prized is is...irrespective of quality...

In Kentucky at the moment, KOJ, visiting some distilleries out here and tasting. So in serious bourbon mode just now...

Ah, so you’re the reason there’s been no caramel in my whisky lately? Not happy. Had to start adding my own
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 15:09 Post ID: #1561845 - in reply to #1561826
MOjo
BigPaul - 25/11/2017 10:37

j

KOTJ...Please do not feel bad about re-opening that old wound regarding the cricket. I will get over it in a matter of weeks :grin:

They don't show it on telly here mate (they wouldn't understand out at all) but I got it on streaming service called Willow tv for 12 bucks/month, which i thought was pretty good value. I'll cancel it after the ashes.
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 15:10 Post ID: #1561846 - in reply to #1561814
MOjo
King of The Jungle - 25/11/2017 07:45

bazzwall - 25/11/2017 07:04

I'm sure he will... You will be monkey's uncle Baz.

Told ya.
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 15:14 Post ID: #1561847 - in reply to #1561832
MOjo
whiskylion - 25/11/2017 12:20

Morning, KOJ.

Thanks mate. Some of the cheaper stuff isn't too bad - just wish i knew what i was actually drinking! Need to develop my taste buds more!
Like post
Like this post
25 November 2017 20:02 Post ID: #1561908 - in reply to #1561811
MOaner
Whisky, can you recommend a good off the shelf bourbon I can get from a supermarket or high street off license?
Like post
Like this post
Pages (3):
2 3
Jump to forum: