Millwall Forum - Just Back v The Blades
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: it wasnt me- Shaggy
- (Added by: RE Lion)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Millwall v Middlesbrough
Suggested By:
Millwall win57%
Middlesbrough win 25%
Draw15%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.waterloowacker235
2.midway lion128
3.whiskylion122
4.ParisWall120
5.PurleyLion93
6.BigPaul85
7.numbernine78
8.unit474
9.High Life Street65
10.Kryan Bing64
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (3): 1
Just Back v The Blades
02 December 2017 22:12 Post ID: #1562674 - in reply to #1562621
We will stay up no worries and finish mid table at least, i have seen enough after 20 games we have got what it takes to stay up just look at our goal difference it's miles better than any of the mugs at the bottom.
us +1 others -18 -12 -26 COYL

Edited by waterloowacker 2/12/2017 22:15
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
02 December 2017 22:38 Post ID: #1562679 - in reply to #1562621
Supreme MO
Wonder if Cooper works on his distribution in training.

I know he's a defender & that is his priority which he's doing well. But people complain about his clearances.

He's talented enough to improve this part of his game so his clearances instead become good passes.
Like post
Like this post
02 December 2017 22:44 Post ID: #1562680 - in reply to #1562621
Coopers distribution is terrible and today he just hoofed the ball to nobody all game.
Like post
Like this post
02 December 2017 22:49 Post ID: #1562681 - in reply to #1562621
MOjo
Thanks Silver,

A similar pattern to previous home games where we start well with all the pressure, don’t score and then lose our way. The difference today was that Gregory found his form and the net, that didn’t stop us reverting to type and giving them most of the pitch whilst we set with the standard two banks of four sitting in front of our penalty area. The inevitable equaliser left me with mixed feelings, at least we wouldn’t be trying to defend a lead for 45 mins.

The beginning of that second half had me wondering if Harris was going to try and do just that for a miserly point, we were stretched throughout the middle of the park, this being a familiar sight as the season wears on. During this period I questioned Harris ability to make tactical changes that would affect the dominance of the opposition, well Gregory made that change for him by the chase back, tackle and sublime pass to Romeo to gets us in front. Harris then did the change that gets us the confidence to strangle and suffocate a decent Sheffield Utd side, Ben Thompson just did what Ben Thompson does, that is not to give a moments peace to anyone near him. They rarely threatened after this, us defending lead in their half for a change.

Stand outs for me.

Gregory, brilliant MoM
Tunnicliffe, he is not a ball playing midfield maestro, he is a workhorse that keeps it simple and effective.
Romeo, the debate with Pearls earlier in the week as to whether he can cut it at this level, the answer has to be yes. I spoke with his parents at half time and said I hope he scores and gives NH a problem for next Saturday. He’s done that.
Harris, proved my doubts wrong

Edited by FireWall 2/12/2017 22:52
Like post
Like this post
02 December 2017 22:52 Post ID: #1562682 - in reply to #1562621
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 00:13 Post ID: #1562690 - in reply to #1562621
MOaner
The kid who dived and scored their goal. Good young player.
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 04:44 Post ID: #1562694 - in reply to #1562621
GeroniMO
That first goal by Gregory was superb to watch from start to finish. The way he dragged the ball back away from his marker was first class. Lets hope we kick on like last season about the same time of year after the Charlton win. I also think having seen Romeo again today that we options to play him further up the field out wide if need be, especially as Fred is out now for a month. Thompson deserves a lot of credit as well, both him and Romeo grabbed their chances with both hands. On the downside will Sheff Utd making a cheeky bid for Gregory in January after seeing that performance and him being a Blades fan.

A great performance by all COYL.
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 05:45 Post ID: #1562698 - in reply to #1562621
Supreme MO
A bazaar game which I couldn't see us winning for a long time. The
gentleman's club (the upper-west toilets ) was unanimous at half-
time that we was going to get hammered. Everyone was saying that
they was one of the best footballing sides seen at the den and wound
up singing "you're shit" at them. Very strange.
Archer....7...Was blamed by some for the goal, but as Monkey said,
a good finish from a good, young player.
Romeo....9.....What a come-back ! Will give Harris selection problems
with a classy performance at both ends of the pitch, and, unlike Silver
I thought it was Hutch being out of position that led to their goal MOM
Hutch.....7....Apart from one blip a true competitor, tenacious.
Cooper....7...Another who will be giving Harris a selection problem.
Meredith....7....Great engine and getting better all the time.
Wallace.....7...Lots of those round me were wondering when Jed was going
to start playing. Yes, he drifts in and out of the game, but he offers some-
thing different.
Teacake....7....Limited, but what he does he does well.
Saville....7...Very subdued performance but no low marks today, cos we
beat a very good side !
Fergie...7....As above, very light-weight for full-back, and hasn't the pace for
winger, Caught in-between.
Morison....7....He is definitely Marmite as loads were slagging him during
the match but I thought he did well, led the line, ruffled feathers, got in
the ref's ear and sheds every drop.
Gregory....8...That sublime turn and shot for the first goal shows why he
is the most frustrating striker I can remember at Millwall. There again, if
he did it on a regular basis he would be worth Whisky's millions and not
with us. Great all-round display.
Subs;
Thommo....7... Great cameo performance.
Craig.......7....Ronseal...does exactly what it says on the tin !
AOB.......A 7 for not pointing at me !
Manager; Harris's after match interview on LBC was illuminating. He stated
we started off on the front foot, scored a good goal and then, for some
reason, dropped 20 yards, So for all those who think it's Neil's decision
to do that, it isn't. Also said," If anyone wants to know what we're about at
Millwall, watch our second goal.
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 10:59 Post ID: #1562711 - in reply to #1562621
Supreme MO
https://www.thesun.co.uk › sport

28 Jul 2017 · MILLWALL have signed Reading defender Jake Cooper in a £400,000 deal. The centre-back had a spell on loan at the Lions last season and helped them win promotion.

---------------

If true, 400k is great value. Considering only a year earlier there was talk of 5 million transfers to Stoke, West Ham & Palace.

He needs to improve his distribution if he wants to become a Premiership player. Doesn't have to become John Stones or provide Bobby Moore esq world cup winning passes. But most Premiership defenders pass rather than hoof the ball out of defence.

Would be sad to see him go but 5 million + would come in handy.
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 11:21 Post ID: #1562718 - in reply to #1562621
Supreme MO
Gregory got himself into a good position for his goal. However this time he hit the target. His shot didn't need to be anything fancy just fairly hard, fairly low & a few feet away from the keeper.

So frustrating that he's got himself into several other good positions this season but didn't hit the target. Three times against Hull. Hitting the target would at the least produce a save from the opposition keeper where the ball could then go anywhere. Or the keeper may make a mistake or not be able to make a save.

So my advice to Gregory is hit the target.
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 11:48 Post ID: #1562720 - in reply to #1562621
MOjo
Romeo was at fault for their goal leaving their left winger too much space but he took his goal well. Good start. Gregs ran his socks off, a proper wall performance. My MOM with Wallace a close second.

If west ham lose today thet will round up my weekend.

Edited by HappyLion 3/12/2017 11:50
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 12:06 Post ID: #1562724 - in reply to #1562720
Legend MO
HappyLion - 3/12/2017 11:48

Romeo was at fault for their goal leaving their left winger too much space but he took his goal well. Good start. Gregs ran his socks off, a proper wall performance. My MOM with Wallace a close second.

If west ham lose today thet will round up my weekend.

If you watch the highlights you will see that Romeo is ball watching for their goal. In fairness, it's a good run by Brooks but he ran from the right edge of our box and should have been picked-up by Mahlon. I thought some of his defending in the 1st half was dodgy, however, when Wallace went walkabout in the 2nd half and couldn't get back to defend Romeo did well to stick to his task. Neil needs to devise a way of the midfield shifting to the right when Wallace is caught out of position to protect whoever is playing RB.

Free-kick wall alignment. When Sheffield won a free-kick in added time in the 1st half I was shocked to see nobody really taking responsibility for aligning the wall. I was directly in line and, IMO, the 2 guys in the wall were protecting Archer's left-hand post and a yard to the left (outside) it, which of course meant they weren't protecting the goal. Elementary stuff that we must get right.

Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 12:12 Post ID: #1562726 - in reply to #1562621
MOjo
Archer set that wall and put someone on the right post. I think it was morro that got the defender to move forward from the post. As you say this left a gap.
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 14:04 Post ID: #1562738 - in reply to #1562621
Supreme MO
I still think Hutch was pulled out of position creating a gap.
But then, who the fuck cares.
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 14:11 Post ID: #1562740 - in reply to #1562621
Let me tell you about greggs give him time to think about it and he fucks it ie one on ones, pens etc, when he has no time and just hits it or makes a quick turn and shoots he's good it's all in mind this is what makes some players better than others. I cannot find the link but its was talked about online about players talking pens etc .
Like post
Like this post
03 December 2017 16:02 Post ID: #1562753 - in reply to #1562740
Legend MO
waterloowacker - 3/12/2017 14:11

Let me tell you about greggs give him time to think about it and he fucks it ie one on ones, pens etc, when he has no time and just hits it or makes a quick turn and shoots he's good it's all in mind this is what makes some players better than others. I cannot find the link but its was talked about online about players talking pens etc .

Maybe to prove your point, early in the game he received a cross from the left and, rather than hit it 1st time, tried to bring it down on his chest and was crowded out. There was an audible sound of disapproval in the Barry Kitchener, fortunately he took his goal well when the chance came.
Like post
Like this post
04 December 2017 08:25 Post ID: #1562826 - in reply to #1562621
Legend MO
I watched the extended highlights on iF yesterday and I did wonder how they had ever got into the top six. Lots of possession and good forward move,net but really no end product. Or maybe it was that we defended better and wanted it a bit more than they did. Their bloke was very critical in his post match interview and said how ell we got to second balls and had more desire. The goals were quality. Gregory looks like a world beater when he plays like that. And the pass for the second was sublime.
I think I am right in saying that we have the Indian sign over them as I remember us beating them twice last season and cannot recall the last time they beat us.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (3): 1
Jump to forum: