Millwall Forum - Just Back v QP ha ha
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: "chit Happens" - Forrest Zola
- (Added by: NorthHertsLion)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Leeds MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Archer13%
McLaughlin3%
Hutchinson6%
Cooper3%
Meredith0%
Wallace9%
Williams0%
Saville0%
O'Brien9%
Morison42%
Gregory3%
Sub - Ferguson0%
Sub - Elliott6%
Sub - Romeo6%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.whiskylion283
2.midway lion242
3.kevrelles206
4.ParisWall203
5.High Life Street187
6.FireWall120
7.BigPaul108
8.unit491
9.King of The Jungle83
10.Millwalladam75
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (3):
2 3
Just Back v QP ha ha
29 December 2017 23:01 Post ID: #1566026
Legend MO
A scrappy Derby played at 100 mph where we just had the edge.

We were on the back foot from the start. They played it around, we were chasing shadows and for the first five minutes we hardly got a touch. Having weathered a mini storm we started to get back into it. AOB looked lively down the left, Wallace looked up for it on the right and Gregory was trying very hard for us to get a foothold. We had a ten minute spell where we looked quite threatening and they looked rattled. The crowd got behind us in between giving Ollie some dog's abuse and we looked as if we might break through. A shot on the turn from Gregory tooled a deflection and sailed over the bar. They had other ideas and pressed forward with purpose. Their 40 was lively and was giving as good as he got with Hutch but he stood firm and was giving nothing away. Then they had a decent chance. From a deep cross from the right their bloke stooped at the far post and headed it firmly goalwards but Archer was equal to it and pushed it away.
We had two decent chances. One found Wallace wide right and he ran along the by line, hit a firm shot which went the wrong side of the post and into the side netting. Our best chance saw a sustained few minutes of pressure which ended with a good cross to Morison in the box. He had a swing and a miss after slipping over but the ball was recycled and almost ended in the back of their net. The half ended goalless.

NH had clearly told them to not fall into the trap of trying to move the ball at break net speed but to pick your pass. We looked more purposeful and moved it well to the flanks where Meredith was having a stormer. We pushed and pressed and played five minutes of joined up football which ended with a goal. A nice move down the right saw a good interchange of passes between Wallace Romeo, Saville and eventually to Meredith, a decent cross and a good header from Morison which Gregory almost connected with. Then another move down the right found Wallace near the by line. He carried it forward, hit a dinked cross to the far post where Morison rose to nod it in. It was the perfect time to score your first goal this season.

They tried hard to press down the flanks and AOB was becoming more of a liability there. Off he came, on came Williams and Tunnicliffe moved a little further left so we played Williams in front of the back four, three in the middle and still two up front. They were pressing forward with pace and brought on giant Matt Smith to head the attack. He had a lot of nuisance value but came into his own with set pieces. With only a few minutes on the clock he rose to meet one of these at the far post but glanced it wide. Fred was on for Gregory at this time and could have sealed it but took his pass wide instead of hitting first time. The four minutes of added time were played out without drama and Rockin All Over the World rang out loud and proud.

Archer had little to do but made one decent stop in the first half. Romeo looked up for it and played very solidly. Cooper and Hutch were very commanding and it was a toss up between Hutch and Meredith for MOM. The latter had a storming game on the left. Wallace was all action and good skill and Saville and Tunnicliffe were fine except the latter got caught a couple of times in possession when he should have passed the ball. AOB was his normal self. A bright start but faded badly.
Morison and Gregory were a formidable pairing and the goal was well taken. Fred was all speed but no substance but Williams had some classy moments in his appearance.

Speed and aggression were the order of the day but it was three points, a clean sheet, a good rant against the insane one and a move upwards in the table. What more could you ask for on a Friday night? The best fish and chips at the Brockley's Rock were a bonus!
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
29 December 2017 23:11 Post ID: #1566027 - in reply to #1566026
Supreme MO
Thanks, Silver: a very enjoyable read....!!!
Like post
Like this post
29 December 2017 23:20 Post ID: #1566029 - in reply to #1566026
Supreme MO
Thanks Silver.
And the waitress. I'm guessing she ignored you, as she didn't get a mention?
Like post
Like this post
29 December 2017 23:22 Post ID: #1566030 - in reply to #1566026
Legend MO
Thanks silver
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 00:13 Post ID: #1566032 - in reply to #1566026
MOaner
Thanks silver but think you're giving qpr to much credit. Second to everything, not up for it. They melted. WAllace saville Romeo Gregory hutch copper all outstanding
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 00:44 Post ID: #1566034 - in reply to #1566026
MOjo
Thanks Silverado,

Got home 40 mins or so ago. This was always going to be a difficult game after our excellent performances against the top sides, Holloway and QPR came to spoil and that they nearly did. The first half was played out by two very average mid table sides that lacked the final pass or the guile to really create or open up. The crowd whilst up for the fight were only sporadically in full voice, yes there was the ‘Ollie you c**t you c**t, it was almost as if the players needed to inspire or was it our job to lift them and drive them on?

The second half was very much better, less 100 miles an hour, Romeo and Wallace were making inroads on the right and things became a little more joined up. I really feel that Jed puts the miles in, in fact I know that the stats that the club run show he is consistently the top in this department, Romeo is showing enough to keep McLaughlin out when he is fit again, as Silver says this is where the goal came from, the right side. If only we could find someone to link with Meredith on the left as these two do.

Our goal is just what the game needed, they had to come out with more purpose, and so it opened up with stout defending from all with Hutch and Coops commanding all before them. We also had our moments and were just short of going further ahead. So all in all not a great game, however all the points to us. A small mention here for Archer, he made his standard reaction saves when called upon, I have been slightly critical of him recently, tonight he was worth his place.
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 01:03 Post ID: #1566037 - in reply to #1566026
Supreme MO
Smith's header at the end from a corner went just wide of the far post. Archer was beaten although standing in the centre of the goal. Derby scored their first goal from a corner & header to the empty far post. Archer beaten although diving.

Maybe someone like AOB could go on the back post. He's not going to win much in the air.
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 07:06 Post ID: #1566040 - in reply to #1566026
MOhican
Thanks Silver

I had a few to many last night listening on radio

Your report definitely help me this morning
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 09:32 Post ID: #1566051 - in reply to #1566026
MOjo
Thanks Silver. As you have said "A scrappy Derby played at 100 mph where we just had the edge".

Good to see morro get on the scoresheet. There were some in the south giving him stick. However he brings something to the game other than goals. Archer has been given some stick on here but kept another clean sheet and despite our apartently ' world class defence' seemed to have to do a bit.

Fred has everything but again showed his inability to to either run into the box with the ball using his pace or look for the easy pass to set up a team mate. Lets hope he is still learning.

Gregs... jeez that guys got some type of engine. He must have covered every inch of the pitch and fought for every ball.
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 09:56 Post ID: #1566052 - in reply to #1566026
GeroniMO
Not a great game, but I thought we were stronger and edged it. With the better teams, we can mostly raise our game, with the likes of QPR it’s always a struggle playing at their level. I wouldn’t feel confident being a Rangers supporter with Holloway, they create little, at least we carve out chances. Another couple of defeats and they could be in the shit. There are a bunch of the regular named (shit) managers free, wouldn’t be surprised to see the Clown in the skip outside Loftus Road soon.
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 10:02 Post ID: #1566053 - in reply to #1566026
Supreme MO
Thanks for the report Silver.
Well it wasn’t all plain sailing but really enjoyed the game & really pleased for Morison, now push on with some more goals mate.
I’ve never really understood NH’s substitutions, Fred is a poor substitute for Gregory & why move Tunnicliffe out wide for Williams when a straight swop with the tiring Saville makes more sense? (Why do AOB & Saville get so knackered?) Never mind Williams classy touches, one nil down with 20 mins to go he got stuck in won some tackles & some headers and that was never a foul the ref gave against him at the end.
We are an average team with a great spirit that sees us through which is the Millwall way I suppose & a credit to the manager
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 10:19 Post ID: #1566055 - in reply to #1566026
Supreme MO
Thanks Silver,my take was;
A game where I thought they edged the opening shots and quietened the
crowd which is what the Golem would have wanted. We only really got on
top in the second-half, mainly due to Williams coming on and organising.
Archer.....7....A competent display.
Romeo.....8....Great play going both ways. He is a much improved player.
It was a smart move to rest him.
Hutch.....8....Resolute defending by a man being forced to tackle with his
wrong foot.
Cooper.....9.... Best showing yet in a Wall shirt. Never lost a header and
made numerous blocks and tackles. My MOM
Merry....8....Energetic and committed .
Wallace...8...Right back to his best form.
Tunnicliffe.....6...Awful first half, caught in possession 3 times and a tame
defensive header which set up a Queers striker to shoot. ( straight at
Archer fortunately )
Saville....6....Never stopped trying but out played by their number 7 who
was the best mid-fielder on view.
AOB.....7.....Some great footwork in the first half where he really worried
them. Faded towards the end.
Gregory....8...Everything we have come to expect from him. Runs harder
then anyone in the division I suspect.
Morison....8.....A great captains display. Was telling them what to do with
the ball to see out the added time. Won his share of headers against 2 of
the best in the Championship. The goal was reward for it all.
Subs;
Williams...8...On a different level to teacake. Needs to start games now.
Fred.....7....Got it all, just doesn't know how to use it.
Harris....8... Has learnt how to use his subs and alter the tactics lately,
and it's showing. I was wondering before the game if Matt Smith was
the forward he was trying to bring in on loan. If so, he had a close look
last night.
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 10:38 Post ID: #1566060 - in reply to #1566026
Sir MO
their no 7 is freeman , a local boy who might fancy the switch, as QPR with their 70 million fair play issue are not going anywhere soon -other than possibly league one
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 10:45 Post ID: #1566063 - in reply to #1566026
Supreme MO
He had a tighter turn than a black cab !
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 10:51 Post ID: #1566065 - in reply to #1566026
MOjo
I keep hearing that we raise our game for the ‘big teams’. If that was the case we would do better on the road against ‘big teams’. I am wondering it’s our travel that’s causing problems. Do the team travel up on the day before the match to all away games? Does something change in the training program just before away games? Are the tactics changed for away matches?
I am thinking of Wolves away where we just stood back and let them control the pace of the game. We didn’t press and chase like we do at home. I have always thought that teams should not change their normal playing style when they play these so called big teams. By doing so you play into their hands. Just play the way that works for you and make them adapt.

Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 11:18 Post ID: #1566067 - in reply to #1566026
Supreme MO
Surely Happy, you have to adapt your playing style to cope
with the oppositions ?
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2017 11:19 Post ID: #1566068 - in reply to #1566026
Legend MO
Thought it was the worse home performance of the season - and I don't mean that in a completely negative way.

Players just looked leggy and off the boil - understandably after the December we have had. Could never really get our usual high intensity game going.

This fed into the crowd, which started out very partisan but soon became a bit flat.

However, fair play to the players - they dug deep and got a vital win.

Overall, a bit of a damp squib of a match. Holloway got off lightly, the crowd was a bit flat, the players leggy and the game scrappy and lacking in quality and intensity. The matches v Leeds, Sheffield United and Middlesbrough have been far more enjoyable.

As for QPR fans - they must be really fed up with Holloway too, that was an appalling away turn out, up there with Palace, before Coward's Way was built.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (3):
2 3
Jump to forum:
Millwall Fixtures  >>