Millwall Forum - Just Back v Norwich
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: IM NOT SAYING SHE WAS FAT,BUT AFTER I SHAGGED HER,I ROLLED OVER 3 TIMES & I WAS STILL ON HER
- (Added by: jago's b+w army)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Preston MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Archer9%
Romeo1%
Hutchinson22%
Cooper4%
Meredith1%
Wallace1%
Tunnicliffe2%
Saville1%
O'Brien9%
Morison2%
Gregory2%
Sub - Williams2%
Sub - Onyedinma44%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.whiskylion278
2.midway lion226
3.ParisWall202
4.kevrelles196
5.High Life Street154
6.FireWall116
7.BigPaul90
8.unit481
9.Millwalladam71
10.King of The Jungle68
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (4):
2 3 4
Just Back v Norwich
01 January 2018 21:17 Post ID: #1566455
Legend MO
A poor second half led to a disappointing loss.

They began on the front foot with some busy midfield play and some good attacking play with their overlapping full backs. We were standing solid as their approach play was good but they didn't have a lot of quality up front. We tried hard to get a foot in but we're getting pushed back. The midfield was defending deeper and the front two got isolated. Meredith was trying very hard to make some headway down the left but Tunnicliffe was not a natural left sided player and so we were struggling down that flank.Down the right was an even bigger problem as Fred was having a mare. Everything he touched was poor and so we had few outlets.

On the other hand they looked positive down the sides and the ref and the completely blind linesman were given them some help. The full back overlapped down the right, Tunnicliffe tackled him and the ball clearly came off his shins for our throw. The Lino was one yard away and he gave it to them. We were miffed. The short throw in was shielded by their bloke and Meredith was tight on him. Their bloke fell over theatrically and the ref gave a free kick. It was a scandal. They had two decent efforts in the first twenty minutes. The first was a dipping volley from a central position which Archer pushed over and the second was a decent curling effort from the left which he pushed over. Then we got a second wind and started to push up and take some control.

Meredith was being more adventurous down the left and looked threatening. Romeo realised that he was to have any mpact down the right he was going to have to do much of it himself.. Gregory was busy, Morison was looking a threat and we had a couple of decent moves. The best was a deep cross to Morison and his header caused problems in the box. They tried to get back into it but at the very point they pressed forward we scored. There was some good play in the middle between Saville and Gregory and the ball fell to Morison in space about thirty yards out. He hit a wicked dipping volley which caught their keeper by surprise and it hit the back of the net. We went nuts. They tried hard to get back into it but it stayed 1-0 at half time.

They had clearly got a rocket at half time as they were out a good two minutes before us. NH had clearly told the lads to keep it tight for the first ten minutes and give nothing away. We played tight but that played into their hands and the ref's hands too. Every time we got close they fell over and none of the free kicks were warranted. My mate said that they will get five free kicks before we get one and he was quite right. If only the ref was consistent then that would have been OK but we were getting kicked from pillar to post without any fouls being given. They continued being busy and we were feeding off scraps. When they muscled us off the ball it was fine but when the reverse happened it was a free kick. They got one to the right of our box and it was a decent delivery which we should have dealt better with. Their bloke got just ahead of Cooper and looped it firmly beyond Archer's reach for 1-1. It was never a free kick but we should have cleared it.

They had the bit between their teeth and we seemed to be running on empty. The ball was lost or given away too often and we were getting pressed back. We needed fresh legs so off went Fred.....much to the delight of many around me...and on came Wallace. We had a couple of decent moves and one of them found Morison on the right. He hit a decent cross to Gregory who dummied it to no one and the chance was lost. We were all looking a bit leggy and so off went Gregory and one came AOB to play left midfield and Morison operating as a solo striker. They pressed forward and we began to contribute to our own downfall by giving the ball away. AOB did just that, it got fed into the middle and out to the edge of our box where their bloke hit it home sweetly with Archer well beaten.

We were looking a beaten side so off went Saville and on came Twardek but it made little difference. We even pushed Cooper up to an attacking role but we still looked tired and beaten. Balls into the box nearly always found their defenders and they saw out the four added minutes without any dramas.

Archer played fine, made decent stops but could do little with the two they scored. Romeo played well but was roughed up two or three times by their defence and got little protection from the ref or the blind linesman. Hutch and Cooper played their normal game but even they had a blip each whereas they are normally faultless. Meredith had another storming game down the left and probably shaded MOM for me.
Feed was shocking. I don't know whether he was hung over but his performance was typified in the second half directly in front of us. The ball was in the air, he moved towards where it was going to land and then stood back as their FB headed it clear whilst Fred watched in amazement. Shocking! Saville had a decent game but looked leggy near the end. Likewise, Williams had some decent moments but faded badly late on. Tunnicliffe ran hard but is no left sided player. He couldn't carry the ball down the left flank effectively and link well with Meredith so he was a bit like a square peg in a round hole. Morison tired hard, scored a good goal but ran out of puff late on. Gregory sadly was similar.
Wallace tried much harder than Fred but couldn't really get into the game. AOB and Twardek had little impact and the game fizzled out with a whimper. After a promising start things did not improve in the second half and they edged it with more commitment and energy. It was a real disappointment.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
01 January 2018 21:26 Post ID: #1566457 - in reply to #1566455
MOaner
No way did they edge it silver. There were just hands down better than us across all departments. Their style of football is boring though. Biggest sideways cunts I've seen this season . pass teams to death basically. Its not "good football" either, its death by short passes. Negative, unimaginative shit. Still, it done a job on us I guess
Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 21:26 Post ID: #1566458 - in reply to #1566455
Legend MO
Dire reading Silver, but thanks for report.
Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 21:33 Post ID: #1566459 - in reply to #1566455
MOaner
Match summery

Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuck it up saville or Fred gives it to them back Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuck it up saville or Fred gives it to them back Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuck it up saville or Fred gives it to them back GOAL by moriaon Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuck it up saville or Fred gives it to them back Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuck it up saville or Fred gives it to them back goal by them Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuck it up saville or Fred gives it to them back Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuck it up saville or Fred gives it to them back goal by them Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuck it up saville or Fred gives it to them back Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap fuck it up saville or Fred gives it to them back
Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 21:42 Post ID: #1566460 - in reply to #1566455
Big MO
HLS - when you have the ball 'passing to death' the other team can't score - they cant dive for free kicks either - we have to develop that aspect of our game - it is only 90 minutes - if you keep the ball long enough eventually the game ends - i used to coach junior teams- i used to tell them don't try to score every time you get the ball - be content to work the ball to spaces/areas where you can defend from if you lose it - you dictate the flow of the play and attack when it is wise to attack -
the second goal was precisely the result of aob having no idea what he was trying to achieve with the ball - he should have turned out down the line and either kept it or looked for a longer ball to morison - instead he turned in field in the hope of either running past someone or finding a square ball , which wasn't on - it is simple game management - we have enough players who are not good enough at that , technically or tactically
Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 22:04 Post ID: #1566461 - in reply to #1566455
GeroniMO
The tactic of playing Fred in for forward threat failed miserably , many attempts were made during the game, they just doubled up on him. No threat at all on left wing, apart from fullbacks pushing on which exposed us all the time. Morison cannot do it all on his own. Gregory was a total waste of team place and the 64 minute only he knows what went wrong with a perfectly placed cross to feet. Williams made hospital passes all match and subs made no impact as said. Our style of wait for them to make a bad pass and counter seldom worked. Meredith, Romeo and Morison are the only 3 that worked today. As for Archer think he could have done better with the 2 that found the net.
Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 22:13 Post ID: #1566462 - in reply to #1566460
Supreme MO
Am I the only person on here who cannot fathom why Fred is anywhere near the starting line up? And whose heart genuinely sinks if his name is in the first eleven given the team sheet; or if he comes onto the pitch as a substitute?

Football is not just about ability but how it is used. It is also about mentality as well having a footballing brain. And sometime a huge heart. A burning desire not to lose. A pride.

That is why there are dozens upon dozens of Freds in non-league football. Because when you fill in the boxes for the skill set above, there are far more crosses than there are ticks. If there are any ticks at all...

Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 22:34 Post ID: #1566463 - in reply to #1566462
MOaner
whiskylion - 1/1/2018 22:13

Am I the only person on here who cannot fathom why Fred is anywhere near the starting line up? And whose heart genuinely sinks if his name is in the first eleven given the team sheet; or if he comes onto the pitch as a substitute?

Football is not just about ability but how it is used. It is also about mentality as well having a footballing brain. And sometime a huge heart. A burning desire not to lose. A pride.

That is why there are dozens upon dozens of Freds in non-league football. Because when you fill in the boxes for the skill set above, there are far more crosses than there are ticks. If there are any ticks at all...

he's been toilet this year,but last year him and romeo had a good half season together. I'd ship him out on loan again. I still think he was no worse than others today. He had zero space and they were just swamping him every time he got the ball. But agree he's not up to it and dtime is running out.
Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 22:40 Post ID: #1566464 - in reply to #1566460
MOaner
liontime - 1/1/2018 21:42

HLS - when you have the ball 'passing to death' the other team can't score - they cant dive for free kicks either - we have to develop that aspect of our game - it is only 90 minutes - if you keep the ball long enough eventually the game ends - i used to coach junior teams- i used to tell them don't try to score every time you get the ball - be content to work the ball to spaces/areas where you can defend from if you lose it - you dictate the flow of the play and attack when it is wise to attack -
the second goal was precisely the result of aob having no idea what he was trying to achieve with the ball - he should have turned out down the line and either kept it or looked for a longer ball to morison - instead he turned in field in the hope of either running past someone or finding a square ball , which wasn't on - it is simple game management - we have enough players who are not good enough at that , technically or tactically
it was interesting seeing pur players today not even going for the first ball,and waiting instead to pick up the second ball and it invariably failing leading to another ten minutes of Norwich ticatack. Surely we have a bit more about us to play a bit. Leeds at home was the only time we looked a great side and played like one. The rest its been "plucky underdogs get a result".
Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 22:45 Post ID: #1566465 - in reply to #1566455
MOaner
As for today, sod it. It will be like this all seasin. We just need to keep gradually building and improving. We wont go down, this season or next.
Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 23:11 Post ID: #1566466 - in reply to #1566462
gizMO
whiskylion - 1/1/2018 22:13

a good few years ago I met Kenny Cunningham he was the manager of the Gambia u17s.after I remarked on the players his words were " this lot are capable of winning the world cup ...if only they had a brain.even the keeper wants to score! '...food for thought.
Like post
Like this post
01 January 2018 23:18 Post ID: #1566467 - in reply to #1566455
Supreme MO
I said after the substitutions on Friday that Tunnicliffe shouldn’t play out wide & Fred just shouldn’t play. In my opinion Williams & Saville shouldn’t play together either. There’s no dream ticket here (especially away from home) you need a holding midfielder. Tunnicliffe should play next to Saville for now & if Saville is “giving the ball away” as someone saw it yesterday then Tunnicliffe (or Ben if necessary) can play next to Williams. You only need one ball player in midfield, two & you leave yourself open. Well done Silver for the report & well done to all those who went.
Like post
Like this post
02 January 2018 01:13 Post ID: #1566469 - in reply to #1566455
Sir MO
Thanks Silver but it was sad reading, Fred this season
Like post
Like this post
02 January 2018 04:11 Post ID: #1566471 - in reply to #1566465
MOjo
High Life Street - 1/1/2018 22:45

As for today, sod it. It will be like this all seasin. We just need to keep gradually building and improving. We wont go down, this season or next.

Ffs don't say that!
Like post
Like this post
02 January 2018 04:30 Post ID: #1566472 - in reply to #1566455
GeroniMO
Worst game of the season after "New years eve," Coincidence, or were some of ours out on the piss the night before ?
Like post
Like this post
02 January 2018 06:49 Post ID: #1566473 - in reply to #1566455
Legend MO
Well said Whisky about Fred. We were in the concourse of Carrow Road watching the Brighton v Bournemoth game and talking to a couple of blokes regarding team selection. None of us could work out why Fred was in the starting line up. Everybody we spoke to felt just as you do about him and we are all baffled about what NH sees in him. The only conclusion we came to was that he needed fresh legs and Fred was almost the only option. He was really poor and how he lasted until the second half only NH knows. My mate said that last season there times that he would knock it past people and run like a train to catch it up but this season he is more cautious so maybe it is a confidence thing.

Looking back on it all with the will he/won't he saga before he signed it was clear that some with more football nous than many of us thought it very unwise to take a punt on him for a lot of money. How right they were! He needs a loan spel with Crawley to see whether he can find it again and if he can't? Then, Welling or Bromley are waiting to snap you up. And to be really honest Fred, we would not miss you.
Like post
Like this post
02 January 2018 07:03 Post ID: #1566474 - in reply to #1566455
Supreme MO
Agree with most of that Silver. I tried to spot you in the bar before the game
to say hello, but the only silvered hair/ red coat combo I could see was on a
man who looked like a harassed geography teacher cum Liberal Democrat
drinking a hot chocolate whilst wearing a black bobble hat. I decided that
couldn't possibly be our Silverback.
The day started so well though, Pukka pies, cold cans of Worthington (£4)
and plenty of the old faces. Then the team was announced, oh dear !
Interesting to see that Neil got no stick in the above reports, indeed his
name was sung out quite often. For me tactically, he's had better days.
Archer....7......Made some cracking saves 1st half, no chance with the goals.
Romeo.....6...Struggled defensively an asset going forward.
Hutch.....Couple of blips but had to try to fill holes when Fred & Romeo Awol.
Cooper.....6....O.K but should have done better with that goal !
Meredith....8....Just about held his own defensively and our best creative
player at times MOM (If there was one !)
Fred.....5....Awful, contributed nothing all game.( bet he's leading the poll
on the right )
Williams....7....The only player who seemed capable of passing to a Wall
player and retaining possession, but gets accused on here of hospital
passes As someone in front of me said, if it 'aint Williams it's
someone else.
Saville...6... For me another average game for Georgie Boy. He was my
early season pick for player of the season but is playing way under
that now. Is he 100% fit ?
Tunnicliffe.....5...A passenger when he is forced to play out on the left.
A great run back to make a tackle was then spoilt by a glaring miss in
front of goal, a piece of sloppy passing in front of goal, and then a frozen
moment in front of goal.
Gregory....6....Tried his best, but with his style of play the games over the
holiday are just too close together. One missed chance he should have
put away.
Morison......7....Caused them a few problems on his return to Carrow road
and woke us all up with that volley !|
Subs;
Wallace....5...We was all praying for Jed to come on and when he did,
he'd caught Fredititis
A O'B...5.....Nothing going on here, move along.
Twardeck...6...Unfair to low mark him on a couple of minutes.
Ref and lino in front of the away fans.
Pair of bent cunts, worse I've seen in many a moon.
Harris....5....For fucks sake Neil, play Romeo in front of Conor. I promise
you it will work better then fuck-all Fred. And play Tunnicliffe where he
can play, centre-mid.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (4):
2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Millwall Fixtures  >>