Millwall Forum - Gregory's Going Nowhere Yet - Harris
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: i dont care what you think as long as its about me
- (Added by: zero)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Preston MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Archer8%
Romeo1%
Hutchinson22%
Cooper4%
Meredith1%
Wallace1%
Tunnicliffe2%
Saville2%
O'Brien9%
Morison2%
Gregory2%
Sub - Williams2%
Sub - Onyedinma44%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.whiskylion279
2.midway lion229
3.kevrelles203
4.ParisWall203
5.High Life Street154
6.FireWall118
7.BigPaul90
8.unit482
9.Millwalladam71
10.King of The Jungle68
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (3): 1 2
Gregory's Going Nowhere Yet - Harris
16 January 2018 20:45 Post ID: #1568582 - in reply to #1568578
MOaner
whiskylion - 16/1/2018 20:26

High Life Street - 16/1/2018 20:08

Bexleyheath_lion - 16/1/2018 18:40

Says a lot about the standard of reporters back in your day, thankfully they've improved. Maybe one day your attempts at a cutting jibe will improve/

To be honest, I don't give a fck what you think, you chat bollocks for a large percentage of the time anyway!

upper cut.

HLS.... How can Bex do an uppercut when he's already been knocked out....?

the ref waved fight on, or something. not sure tbh.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
16 January 2018 21:06 Post ID: #1568585 - in reply to #1568582
Supreme MO
High Life Street - 16/1/2018 20:45

Says a lot about the standard of reporters back in your day, thankfully they've improved. Maybe one day your attempts at a cutting jibe will improve/

To be honest, I don't give a fck what you think, you chat bollocks for a large percentage of the time anyway!

upper cut.

Ah, I see what happened, HLS. You froze the moment like a "What Happened Next?" clip.

Right, I'll tell you. Bex fired the uppercut, missed, and punched himself on the nose, slightly dizzying himself in the process.

With him wobbling I then put in a combination that came at him from all angles and before he knew what day it wasn't he was flat on his face and being counted out.

When he came to (sort of) he just mumbled some gibberish - or maybe he was speaking normally, impossible to tell - before being carried away on a stretcher swearing terrible vengeance on the Sports Editor of the Daily Sketch.

Game over.

Like post
Like this post
16 January 2018 21:11 Post ID: #1568587 - in reply to #1568585
MOaner
whiskylion - 16/1/2018 21:06

High Life Street - 16/1/2018 20:45

cheers.

upper cut.

Ah, I see what happened, HLS. You froze the moment like a "What Happened Next?" clip.

Right, I'll tell you. Bex fired the uppercut, missed, and punched himself on the nose, slightly dizzying himself in the process.

With him wobbling I then put in a combination that came at him from all angles and before he knew what day it wasn't he was flat on his face and being counted out.

When he came to (sort of) he just mumbled some gibberish - or maybe he was speaking normally, impossible to tell - before being carried away on a stretcher swearing terrible vengeance on the Sports Editor of the Daily Sketch.

Game over.

Like post
Like this post
16 January 2018 21:58 Post ID: #1568593 - in reply to #1567736
Supreme MO
Ah, but what if Bex had feign-lights ?
Like post
Like this post
17 January 2018 08:29 Post ID: #1568625 - in reply to #1568576
MOaner
whiskylion - 16/1/2018 20:17

Bexleyheath_lion - 16/1/2018 19:26

In your eyes, maybe! I've noticed you have trouble relating to opinion or fact unless it comes from your trap. I mean, trying to tell us all Gregory is so highly rated that your pal is to afraid to bid for him, sums you up for me.

It was no argument either, I disagreed with you, you tried your usual trick of trying to belittle people that disagree with you, maybe you should get of your high horse!

The manager didn't say he was afraid to bid for him. He said he didn't see any point.

But hey. What do I know? I was only actually there and had a one-on-one personal meeting and conversation with the bloke. You on the other hand...you were in Bexleyheath. So you win hands down.

If you don't believe me, I'll not be losing any sleep over it. Equally if your - or anybody's - opinion differs from mine, then great: that's the point of a forum. To debate.

But try not to insinuate people are liars when they are not. You'll tend to find they might find a way of having a chip back at you. And if you can't take it, then don't suggest they are liars in the first place.

On the contrary. You stated that plenty of managers rate Gregory so highly, yet don't see the point making a bid as he's too important to Millwall. Er, for one so clued up, you'd know, that's exactly the type of player a club would go after, everyone has a price, the point is if your pal rates him that highly, he'd pay the premium required to get him. The problem is, Gregory is a forward that scores very few goals, what manager is going to risk the premium? Certainly not your pal by the sounds of it and lets be fair, its not as though we've got a brilliant record at getting top whack for any of our players.

Now I don't doubt you are a knowledgeable and educated fella, but try not act as though you know more than everyone on everything, and try not come across as so arrogant and pompous, or cut out the condescending remarks whenever someone has the audacity to disagree with you, I mean I'm not the first poster you've had this type of spat with.

Ps, I wasn't in Bexleyheath, but feel free to keep assuming yeah
Like post
Like this post
17 January 2018 09:32 Post ID: #1568639 - in reply to #1567736
Supreme MO
You just don't get it, do you Bex.

There is no point telling me I'm talking bollox when all I am doing is reporting back what is said to me. Ever heard of the phrase: "don't shoot the messenger"?

I am not just giving my opinion. I am giving the opinion of others I have spoken with. Now do you see...? So if I have an opinion, it is an informed one. From the way you have conducted yourself in this debate I suspect yours isn't.

Oh, and let us take the case of this manager I spoke with. He rates Gregory in the £2 - £2.5 million bracket. But he knows that if he went to Millwall and offered that there is no way they'd accept because, as he puts it, "he is too important to them."

You keep wittering on about every player having his price. Of course Millwall might be tempted at, say, £5 million. But this manager doesn't think he's worth that, so won't be offering it. At £2 - £2.5 million Millwall won't sell because he knows its unlikely they'll get a better striker to play their system at that price.

Some managers just ring up on the off chance they'll get someone. This one doesn't. He's been around long enough to know when to save himself the time and trouble and concentrate on likely rather than unlikely targets.

So if you think I'm talking bollocks then so too are the managers and exec scouts I've been chatting with.

Like post
Like this post
17 January 2018 10:36 Post ID: #1568652 - in reply to #1568639
MOaner
whiskylion - 17/1/2018 09:32

You just don't get it, do you Bex.

There is no point telling me I'm talking bollox when all I am doing is reporting back what is said to me. Ever heard of the phrase: "don't shoot the messenger"?

I am not just giving my opinion. I am giving the opinion of others I have spoken with. Now do you see...? So if I have an opinion, it is an informed one. From the way you have conducted yourself in this debate I suspect yours isn't.

Oh, and let us take the case of this manager I spoke with. He rates Gregory in the £2 - £2.5 million bracket. But he knows that if he went to Millwall and offered that there is no way they'd accept because, as he puts it, "he is too important to them."

You keep wittering on about every player having his price. Of course Millwall might be tempted at, say, £5 million. But this manager doesn't think he's worth that, so won't be offering it. At £2 - £2.5 million Millwall won't sell because he knows its unlikely they'll get a better striker to play their system at that price.

Some managers just ring up on the off chance they'll get someone. This one doesn't. He's been around long enough to know when to save himself the time and trouble and concentrate on likely rather than unlikely targets.

So if you think I'm talking bollocks then so too are the managers and exec scouts I've been chatting with.

You don't think we'd accept £2.5m for Gregory? You don't think, that the chance to increase his wage earning potential wouldn't see Gregory wanting to move? Morison was banging them in and we sold him for less. Just saying
Like post
Like this post
17 January 2018 11:10 Post ID: #1568669 - in reply to #1567736
Supreme MO
No, Bex, I really don't think we would.

And Gregory doesn't really have a say in the matter at the moment: we have 18 months on him still as we have option on a 12 month trigger clause which will almost certainly be activated.

I think Gregory enjoys playing under a manager who genuinely appreciates him and knows he'll get a good crack of the whip when it comes to game time.

You may not agree, but I really concur with Harris when he says Gregory has been unlucky this season. He has had a goal disallowed for a penalty which was then saved. A goal ruled out which even a Preston-supporting mate of mine who was at the game told me was clearly onside. At Sunderland their keeper had made two horrific, schoolboy mistakes for our two goals - then pulled off the best save I have seen in years to deny Gregory a late winner. And so on.

Of course that will hit his confidence: he is human. But it has been a long time since I have seen a Millwall striker work so hard week in week out, never giving less than 100% - and win the ball back so many times to put pressure on the opposition. And frighten a defence with his non-stop and intelligent movement. Or, conversely, fool his marker simply by standing still and not going where the defender expected him to.

Let's just celebrate we have the lad.

Like post
Like this post
17 January 2018 12:42 Post ID: #1568683 - in reply to #1567736
MOaner
I am not disagreeing with you that Gregory is a decent player. If he was a natural finisher your mate would stump up far more than £2.5m for him, if he had it. Yes he has been unlucky on occasion, but he still misses far too many. As for 18 months on his contract, Coutinho had about 4 years and forced a move. If a player wants to go, they go, or the club risks losing substantial amounts. Wasn't the valuation of around £2m mooted when he'd just had a good goal scoring season in league 1?
Like post
Like this post
17 January 2018 12:52 Post ID: #1568688 - in reply to #1567736
Supreme MO
The fact he has bought a house in Sheffield worries me.
The club would bite someone's hand off for £2.5 million we all know
that. Add to that, Harris wouldn't want to keep an unhappy player.
I feel the ball is in Gregory's court.
Like post
Like this post
17 January 2018 13:01 Post ID: #1568696 - in reply to #1567736
Supreme MO
His wife has always lived in sheffield so bought her a new house, makes no odds.
He cant score and that is what he is in the team for, i hope we get a few quid and he goes.
Like post
Like this post
17 January 2018 13:05 Post ID: #1568700 - in reply to #1568683
Supreme MO
Bexleyheath_lion - 17/1/2018 12:42

I am not disagreeing with you that Gregory is a decent player. If he was a natural finisher your mate would stump up far more than £2.5m for him, if he had it. Yes he has been unlucky on occasion, but he still misses far too many. As for 18 months on his contract, Coutinho had about 4 years and forced a move. If a player wants to go, they go, or the club risks losing substantial amounts. Wasn't the valuation of around £2m mooted when he'd just had a good goal scoring season in league 1?

Double-edged sword, Bex! If he had put away, say, twelve goals this season the clubs really would be sniffing around and upping the ante.

As I say, he has many admirers in the dug outs and in among the senior scouting corps. However chairmen and CEOs before signing cheques also want to be convinced he can achieve a better goal ratio. Hence his valuation of £2.5 million and not £5 million.

Yes, he did get valued at £2 million after that season in Div 1. However, to managers/coaches at Championship level, they have seen him pull defenders all over the place and give them a really tough game. His value has steadily increased since then because they know he brings a lot more to the game than simply goals and defenders at that level don't relish marking him.

As this particular manager also said: "he feeds off scraps." So he is aware that Millwall's style is not really the most effective way of getting goals out of him because he has to work off a higher percentage of long balls rather than being on the end of an intricate passing move that makes the most of Gregory's movement.

I suspect that is something NH is trying to rectify.

Like post
Like this post
17 January 2018 13:27 Post ID: #1568706 - in reply to #1567736
MOaner
I agree, if he scored regularly, he'd have earnt a move to a higher championship club/lower half premier league side, and would be worth around £10m.

I get that some games we don't create a lot, there are other games, for example the amount of one on ones he misses, is nothing to do with long ball football.

I don't suspect Harris is trying to rectify things, we seem to revert to long ball more often than not and Harris, as much as I loved the player and have huge respect for the job he's done as gaffer, for me doesn't learn from mistakes.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (3): 1 2
Jump to forum:
Millwall Fixtures  >>