Millwall Forum - A Night of Shame to Blight Millwall's 133 Year History.
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: "I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine." - Spike Milligan
- (Added by: oddboots)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Birmingham MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Archer5%
Romeo0%
Hutchinson5%
Cooper5%
Meredith1%
Wallace0%
Williams0%
Saville1%
Marshall0%
Gregory3%
Morison1%
Sub - Onyedinma1%
Sub - Cahill75%
Sub - Shackell3%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.ParisWall297
2.waterloowacker272
3.midway lion230
4.High Life Street184
5.whiskylion161
6.Millwalladam111
7.kevrelles97
8.Kryan Bing93
9.BigPaul84
10.PurleyLion82
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (7): « First
2 3 4 ... Last »
A Night of Shame to Blight Millwall's 133 Year History.
07 February 2018 02:09 Post ID: #1572885
Supreme MO
This unquestionably was one of the most appalling nights in Millwall's history.

Not because we lost to Rochdale. But how and why.

Never before in our long, until this evening proud history have we ever sent essentially a reserve team to an opposing ground to do battle in the FA Cup. The fact that a 5th round home tie against Spurs, and a half million pound payday, has been squandered made the decision all the more appalling. The chance for young Millwall fans to see in the flesh the players they only ever see on tv. And chance of glory and revenge...

A couple of Rochdale directors I spoke with were utterly bemused with our team selection. It was not, to put it mildly, what they expected. I apologised to them sincerely, as a true Millwall supporter, for our team management disrespecting Rochdale as a football club, as they had our travelling support who had risked life and limb on icy roads to turn up - and hopefully return home unscathed - in good numbers. (As someone at Rochdale dryly commented: "Funny, I thought you were a Championship Club who we beat in the league last season. I hadn't realised you were a high and mighty moneybags Premier team who could afford to put your first team on the bench." Quite)

Also I congratulated them wholeheartedly because, to reach the FA Cup 5th Round for only the third time in their entire history, they had to beat what what was put in front on them....which turned out to be not very much, and wished them well.

Rochdale were a team. We were not. Just a ragtag bunch of mainly disorganised and disinterested individuals, with the exception of the goalkeeper and back line who must have surveyed what was going on in front of them with the same dismay the traveling contingent must have felt from the stands.

I was sitting next to a Premier League scout and his total inability to work out what was supposed to be going on on the pitch, especially when the substitutions were finally made, matched mine entirely. Neither of us could work out shape, who was supposed to be doing what, why we were so narrow, how Gregory was supposed to get any service....

The Millwall back four are above censure. Shackle in particular made some sublime tackles to get us out of trouble.

But Williams, Fred and Elliott in particular were truly pitiable. Absolutely shocking to a man: it was like playing with eight men. When late on Gregory curled a sublime cross between the Rochdale goalkeeper and his defence it needed Elliott only to attack it from two feet away and an undeserved equaliser would have been had. But he stood motionless and let the open goal pass him by. It summed up much of his and our game.

I will forgive Purley's plagiarism for his intro of his Just Back. It reproduced just about word for word my rant about Harris' decision to field our reserves in the first encounter with Rochdale at The Den. But in the context of this evening it was spot on and he was correct to say it.

Our manager has done much this season to be praised for. But every withering criticism of Neil Harris on here is deserved tonight. After 133 years he is the first manager ever to field a Reserve team in the FA Cup - all the more shocking considering it was Dennis Wise constantly playing a first team - even at Telford United on a pitch a lot worse than tonight's - that gave him probably the greatest moment of his playing career: an FA Cup Final at Wembley.

So he fact he should treat the competition and us - and Rochdale AFC - with such contempt makes this evening all the more unforgivable and unpalatable. And by fielding such an overly diluted team he has, as Moody sums up elsewhere perfectly, possibly weakened the ties of some supporters not just from the club but the game itself.

We are not going up. We are not going down. We have a game on Friday, but so what? The gap between Tues and Friday is no shorter than that between Saturday and Tuesday. So if we, a very average 2nd tier side, can't even be bothered to send out our First XI to win a vital FA Cup tie, then why as fans should we be bothered to support them?

Which then in turn begs the question: what is the bloody point of Millwall FC at all...?

Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
07 February 2018 02:13 Post ID: #1572886 - in reply to #1572885
Supreme MO
All the above & probably more.
Still not home yet either!
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 02:59 Post ID: #1572888 - in reply to #1572885
Sir MO
Very well put Whisky ,everybody i know was just stunned when our team( ) was announced.
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 03:10 Post ID: #1572889 - in reply to #1572885
Supreme MO
Having now digested your post properly I did warn people that Elliott was only a division One player (division three in old money) but I got shot down in flames by a few on here. Having said all that, was it fair for NH to play him up front with Fred?
Then there’s Fred himself who for a fifteen minute spell in the first half managed to hold the ball up twice and lay it off & then make two of his mazey (is that a word?) runs. That’s as good as it ever gets for Fred & he disappeared without trace although quite why NH started him on the sand side (left) rather than the grass side (right) I don’t know.
As for Williams (and I’m trying to appease Purley a bit here) why is NH playing him so deep? I know he used to be a centre half for some other shit third division team back in the day but he’s supposed to be our playmaker and should be in front of Ben and or Teacake not the other way round. He hit one good long ball over the top for Gregory but surely it’s asking a lot of him to set up goals when he’s playing just in front of our back four?
As alluded to by everyone else NH must take the blame for this shambles
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 05:05 Post ID: #1572892 - in reply to #1572885
GeroniMO
Well put Whisky. Just to add fuel to fire, I just watched the interview by NH on OS which like his team selection totally bemused me and for the very first time really pissed me off. He starts by saying they deserved to go through, fair enough as they probably did given what we put in front of them for the second time. What however really grated me was not one mention was made by him that he called it wrong and secondly did he mention he and the team let the supporters down with that display. Not a mention of those 400 brave souls that defied treacherous weather conditions to get there either.

NH come out and say you got it wrong on all counts ASAP. Millwall supporters deserve at least that.

Edited by LeonC 7/2/2018 05:09
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 05:23 Post ID: #1572893 - in reply to #1572885
GeroniMO
A top tier proffessional football match should never have taken place on that pitch, lets see the condition when and if a decent referee lets play commence, when they play Spurs and, what the Spurs manager has to say about it.

We could have lost key team players through injury on that surface, which may have threatened our time in the championship.

We are all gutted there will be no Spurs at home, lets see what the players reaction is on Friday.

For our survival, staying in the Championship far outweighs a decent cup run.
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 05:28 Post ID: #1572894 - in reply to #1572885
Supreme MO
Very well put Whisky. Harris should realise just how much he has hurt
the club and it's supporters by his selfish actions. He needs to apologise,
but does he know how too ?
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 07:14 Post ID: #1572905 - in reply to #1572885
Legend MO
Many thanks Whisky for your well constructed thoughts. I agree wholeheartedly but I have only one observation. Knowing the state of the pitch, a big game on TV on Friday and a small squad do you think that NH knew, barring a miracle, that we would lose and he really wasn't bothered?
His comments afterwards don't really show any sign of anger or remorse. I am sure he has put some of our fringe players to the test and they have not come up to the mark and he will have learned who can stay in the squad next season. Friday's team selection will be interesting!
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 08:23 Post ID: #1572911 - in reply to #1572885
Supreme MO
Great post, Whisky.

I thought I may feel different in the morning. But, I don't. In fact I feel even more numb to Millwall FC.

If you take the romance out of football, what have you got? Nothing.

I am not just saying this to be controversial, but I really hope Harris is punished on Friday with a low crowd and a thrashing from Cardiff City.

How many have said Harris is one of us? Gets us? What utter bullshit after last night. Millwall have been in my family since 1890s and not one of them would have approved of what Harris did last to the club, to Rochdale and to the greatest & oldest club knock-out competition in the world.

The fact that some are justifying it makes me think I am right to think what's the point anymore. Football has changed (for the worse - and that's not rose tinted, it's a fact) and now Millwall have too.

There is no way I can respect Harris after that. He can fuck off back to Essex as far as I am concerned. And the idea of spending time, money & effort to watch another Millwall game this season or beyond turns me cold.

Frankly, I would laugh my head off if we got relegated on the last day.
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 08:24 Post ID: #1572912 - in reply to #1572885
Supreme MO
Sorry Silver, I disagree.
Why will Friday's team selection be interesting?
We know our best team, and that most likely to score goals, and win football matches.

Therefore, don't you think the team on Friday will be remarkably similar to those that performed so admirably at Leeds and Reading?

For the record, I agree 100% with Whisky's post above.
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 08:37 Post ID: #1572913 - in reply to #1572885
Supreme MO
I read the Team Sheet just as we were leaving home for a Birthday celebration; I could not believe the selection!

I always thought a Home draw in the Cup is the only wish you'd have - but, if you don't kill the game off in that first match, you are on a wing and a prayer in the reply.

A more or less nailed-on tie with Tottenham, with home advantage in the next Round; WTF?

I've always defended NH on this Forum, even when we've been through a bad patch.

I even signed the petition to turn The Haters' Arms into apartments!

But, I'm afraid at the moment, I can see no rhyme nor reason for the starting line-up.

Okay, Cardiff coming up on Friday night, very important match; but you imagine if we had won 4-0 last night on the back of a good display, the Team would have been right up for it.

Can they bounce back, that's the question.

Kev joked the other day that it was not beyond the realms of possibility, that Wall could lose both games - he may be proved right.

What odds do you reckon I get for a Newport win tonight?

Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 08:37 Post ID: #1572914 - in reply to #1572885
Legend MO
At the end of the day Neil done what he thought was best on the night yea he called it wrong with to many changes & trust me that would have hit him hard & he will be hurting as much if not more then any of us but i don't agree with all this jumping all over him for it look what good he has done since coming in as manager & look how much better we are for it & some of the highs he has gave us how good was it up at Bellend rd beating Ollie on his return to the Den & all the other good results we have had for me out weighs us getting beat last night & we still have got Tim to come into he side so it's onwards & upwards for me COYL
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 08:38 Post ID: #1572915 - in reply to #1572885
Sir MO
2 things guaranteed in life

You will leave this world someday
And Millwall will ruin your fucking Day
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 08:41 Post ID: #1572916 - in reply to #1572915
Supreme MO
Vermin out out OUT - 7/2/2018 08:38

2 things guaranteed in life

You will leave this world someday
And Millwall will ruin your fucking Day

Spot-on, mate.

Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 08:42 Post ID: #1572917 - in reply to #1572885
Loyal MO
whiskylion - 7/2/2018 02:09

This unquestionably was one of the most appalling nights in Millwall's history.

Not because we lost to Rochdale. But how and why.

Never before in our long, until this evening proud history have we ever sent essentially a reserve team to an opposing ground to do battle in the FA Cup. The fact that a 5th round home tie against Spurs, and a half million pound payday, has been squandered made the decision all the more appalling. The chance for young Millwall fans to see in the flesh the players they only ever see on tv. And chance of glory and revenge...

A couple of Rochdale directors I spoke with were utterly bemused with our team selection. It was not, to put it mildly, what they expected. I apologised to them sincerely, as a true Millwall supporter, for our team management disrespecting Rochdale as a football club, as they had our travelling support who had risked life and limb on icy roads to turn up - and hopefully return home unscathed - in good numbers. (As someone at Rochdale dryly commented: "Funny, I thought you were a Championship Club who we beat in the league last season. I hadn't realised you were a high and mighty moneybags Premier team who could afford to put your first team on the bench." Quite)

Also I congratulated them wholeheartedly because, to reach the FA Cup 5th Round for only the third time in their entire history, they had to beat what what was put in front on them....which turned out to be not very much, and wished them well.

Rochdale were a team. We were not. Just a ragtag bunch of mainly disorganised and disinterested individuals, with the exception of the goalkeeper and back line who must have surveyed what was going on in front of them with the same dismay the traveling contingent must have felt from the stands.

I was sitting next to a Premier League scout and his total inability to work out what was supposed to be going on on the pitch, especially when the substitutions were finally made, matched mine entirely. Neither of us could work out shape, who was supposed to be doing what, why we were so narrow, how Gregory was supposed to get any service....

The Millwall back four are above censure. Shackle in particular made some sublime tackles to get us out of trouble.

But Williams, Fred and Elliott in particular were truly pitiable. Absolutely shocking to a man: it was like playing with eight men. When late on Gregory curled a sublime cross between the Rochdale goalkeeper and his defence it needed Elliott only to attack it from two feet away and an undeserved equaliser would have been had. But he stood motionless and let the open goal pass him by. It summed up much of his and our game.

I will forgive Purley's plagiarism for his intro of his Just Back. It reproduced just about word for word my rant about Harris' decision to field our reserves in the first encounter with Rochdale at The Den. But in the context of this evening it was spot on and he was correct to say it.

Our manager has done much this season to be praised for. But every withering criticism of Neil Harris on here is deserved tonight. After 133 years he is the first manager ever to field a Reserve team in the FA Cup - all the more shocking considering it was Dennis Wise constantly playing a first team - even at Telford United on a pitch a lot worse than tonight's - that gave him probably the greatest moment of his playing career: an FA Cup Final at Wembley.

So he fact he should treat the competition and us - and Rochdale AFC - with such contempt makes this evening all the more unforgivable and unpalatable. And by fielding such an overly diluted team he has, as Moody sums up elsewhere perfectly, possibly weakened the ties of some supporters not just from the club but the game itself.

We are not going up. We are not going down. We have a game on Friday, but so what? The gap between Tues and Friday is no shorter than that between Saturday and Tuesday. So if we, a very average 2nd tier side, can't even be bothered to send out our First XI to win a vital FA Cup tie, then why as fans should we be bothered to support them?

Which then in turn begs the question: what is the bloody point of Millwall FC at all...?

Spot on Whisky, the disrespect to everyone by the management and some of the players is disgusting. The club IS the supporters and they have been shat on from a great height. We all wanted to get through and have a second pop at Spurs at home. Resting players!!! in that case why take them up to the back end of nowhere and sit them on the bench!! Fair play to the lads who made the trek up there and to be served that shit is unforgiveable. We are a club with limitations and a go at top six opposition at home don't come round very often. We are not going up or down this season 12th, 13th, 14th etc who cares. Spurs at home was the prize we should have grabbed with both hands.....f'ing fuming!!!
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 08:42 Post ID: #1572918 - in reply to #1572885
Lawn MOer
Correct!!!
Like post
Like this post
07 February 2018 08:49 Post ID: #1572921 - in reply to #1572885
Supreme MO
I was in the Radcliffe Bar before the game with a couple of mates when we noticed the team selection coming up on sky sports news, my first words were "the subs bench is more stronger than the team on the pitch, do we want to go through?", the only problem was we could only use 3 of the subs and we used them far too late.
A couple of Rochdale fans seemed shocked when we said it is pretty much the same team that nearly fucked it up the first time but looked relieved also and you couldn't blame them.
I understand making changes here and there but as i said above you can only use three subs so make no more than three changes so that you can put it right if things don't go to plan.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (7): « First
2 3 4 ... Last »
Jump to forum:
Millwall Fixtures  >>