Millwall Forum - Petrol tips nw
Vital Football

Latest Millwall FC News

Welcome to the Millwall Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Lady Astor: "Mr.Churchill, if you were my husband i would poison your tea.". Winston Churchill: "If you were my wife, i'd drink it!"
- (Added by: Groucho78)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Millwall v Hull City
Suggested By:
Millwall win53%
Hull win25%
Draw22%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.waterloowacker191
2.midway lion181
3.ParisWall159
4.numbernine140
5.whiskylion116
6.King of The Jungle80
7.PurleyLion75
8.Kryan Bing62
9.Arthur2shedsJackson61
10.BigPaul57
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2): 1
Petrol tips nw
14 October 2011 19:50 Post ID: #1069650 - in reply to #1069450
Supreme MO
matt-the-lion - 14/10/2011 08:12

Some advice you might find useful.

With Petrol expected to reach £2 per litre by end of 2011 these tips that I received from a friend might come in handy.

TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL

I don't know what you are paying for petrol.... I am paying up to £1.35 to £1.50 per litre.

My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre:

Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work , we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period ..

One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.

Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground.

The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands,

so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business.

But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode

If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high.

You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping.

All hoses at the pump have a vapour return.

If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour.

Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL.

The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof.

This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Very good, but what about diesel.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
14 October 2011 20:02 Post ID: #1069652 - in reply to #1069650
senorbaz - 14/10/2011 19:50

With Petrol expected to reach £2 per litre by end of 2011 these tips that I received from a friend might come in handy.

TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL

I don't know what you are paying for petrol.... I am paying up to £1.35 to £1.50 per litre.

My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre:

Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work , we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period ..

One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.

Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground.

The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands,

so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high.

You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping.

If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour.

Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL.

The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof.

This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Different distillation rate, different volatility, different viscosity, different flash point = different outcome!
Like post
Like this post
14 October 2011 20:44 Post ID: #1069656 - in reply to #1069652
Supreme MO
Senegal Lion - 14/10/2011 20:02

senorbaz - 14/10/2011 19:50

TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL

Different distillation rate, different volatility, different viscosity, different flash point = different outcome!

different strokes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Like post
Like this post
14 October 2011 20:53 Post ID: #1069658 - in reply to #1069450
MTL whilst I respect the fact that you appear to work for a petrol retailer, in what capacity im unsure but perol £2 per litre so diesel £2.10 per litre do fuck off.
If fuel reaches these sort of prices the whole country will come to a standstill, as hauliers will not be able to afford or absorb the extra fuel costs, consumers wont to pay extra having taken pay freezes or cuts, the coallition government wont allow it either as they know coupled with the November strikes a fuel strike would cripple the country, let alone veryone going on general strike.
As a gardener I pay a fortune on fuel every week, mainly diesel for the van, but all the kit uses petrol, as a small business Out of the first £800 I earn each month, I earn only £330 as my overheads are quite high, as business grows they get better, but a rise of 60-70p per litre would make it totally unecconomical to work.
Trust me any government wouldnt allow it let alone one desperately trying to get the ecconomy started. Where did this amazing price hike come from that you are announcing
Like post
Like this post
15 October 2011 09:07 Post ID: #1069739 - in reply to #1069658
MOnster
bobthebrickie - 14/10/2011 20:53

MTL whilst I respect the fact that you appear to work for a petrol retailer, in what capacity im unsure but perol £2 per litre so diesel £2.10 per litre do fuck off.
If fuel reaches these sort of prices the whole country will come to a standstill, as hauliers will not be able to afford or absorb the extra fuel costs, consumers wont to pay extra having taken pay freezes or cuts, the coallition government wont allow it either as they know coupled with the November strikes a fuel strike would cripple the country, let alone veryone going on general strike.
As a gardener I pay a fortune on fuel every week, mainly diesel for the van, but all the kit uses petrol, as a small business Out of the first £800 I earn each month, I earn only £330 as my overheads are quite high, as business grows they get better, but a rise of 60-70p per litre would make it totally unecconomical to work.
Trust me any government wouldnt allow it let alone one desperately trying to get the ecconomy started. Where did this amazing price hike come from that you are announcing

Two points
1. He works at the wild bean cafe on the pastry counter
2. Shouldn't you be called Bobthegardener then otherwise it's all very confusing?
Like post
Like this post
15 October 2011 09:22 Post ID: #1069741 - in reply to #1069739
BLF - 15/10/2011 09:07

bobthebrickie - 14/10/2011 20:53

Two points
1. He works at the wild bean cafe on the pastry counter
2. Shouldn't you be called Bobthegardener then otherwise it's all very confusing?

Combining the disciplines of gardening and brick laying could mean the sign on name of Bobthelandscapegardener but it's a tad too fucking long!

Like post
Like this post
15 October 2011 09:34 Post ID: #1069743 - in reply to #1069450
MOnster
There's a whole new thread potential in this subject.
Like post
Like this post
15 October 2011 11:41 Post ID: #1069772 - in reply to #1069450
BLF fair point mate im laughing, long story did work brick laying in SouthWest Ireland many moons ago so hence BTB, sadly got ill with big C became a fat bastard and too slow laying bricks to earn decent money, got into grounds maintenance and gardening, hence as Sen said Bobthegroundsmaintenanceman or Bobthelandscapegardener is a bit too long so will stick with BTB for now as doing ok and things slowly improving and business growing. Pardon the pun.
Like post
Like this post
15 October 2011 11:43 Post ID: #1069773 - in reply to #1069450
As I said earlier in the thread I'm passing on the info as I recieved it, It's meant to be a few useful tips to save yourself a few quid, don't see why people are focusing on the first line about the £2 a litre.
Like post
Like this post
15 October 2011 11:49 Post ID: #1069775 - in reply to #1069450
MOnster
Funny thing Matt is a couple of years back people were saying it'd never go over a quid ,now look at it

it'll fucking rocket through £2 when the US invade Iran and the Saudis get dragged in
Like post
Like this post
15 October 2011 12:31 Post ID: #1069788 - in reply to #1069775
MTL a lot of people will care and do care about fuel prices, if they own and run businesses as one of the biggest costs after staff wages is fuel.
So yes for me as all the equipment I use runs on the stuff and my vehicle are my largest cost and the prices I charge customers are based on it, with a 60 - 70p per litre price rise, i'd be looking at going from an average charge of £35.00p per fortnight to around £42.00 per fortnight, which doesn't sound much but in the current financial climate half my customers would deem too much.
Like I said this government wont allow the ecconomy to be further damaged by a massive fuel hike of around £3.60 - £4.00p per gallon imagine the effect on the haulage industry and its knock on effect with the cost of consumer goods and food.
As for the yanks attacking Iran I can't see that happening any time soon, they are still embroiled in Iraq and Afgan, the American public would not have the stomache to want to go into another war which potentially could involve the Russians - non starter.
Like post
Like this post
15 October 2011 13:13 Post ID: #1069800 - in reply to #1069450
Again , just to clarify the mentioning of £2 per litre was part of the email I copied and are the views of the author and not my own.

Like post
Like this post
15 October 2011 13:30 Post ID: #1069805 - in reply to #1069450

Matt I shouldn't worry about it mate as some of the other facts* are bollocks as well.

Like post
Like this post
Pages (2): 1
Jump to forum: